Is It A Bad Idea To Polish?

Instead of getting the cloud i was hoping for i got a diffrent one abt 1 5/8 pretty big but thats not the only thing thats big theres a pretty big chip on the side and the surface is pretty dull and i was windering if its a good idea to get polished or leave it as is? i will be posting pics soon still need to get the hang of this site!

Hi Rylee, you may get some mixed opinions in response to your question. Some might say that polishing "destroys" the value and collect-ability, while others might say that it improves aesthetics because at least you can see what's going on inside and enjoy the marble's pattern.

I'm assuming you mean a handmade marble that has a fair amount of clear glass encasing the inside pattern. Polishing a marble removes glass and depending on the depth of the damage/dullness a fair amount of glass may need to be removed.

Removing a lot of glass can sometimes expose the "ends" of the inner pattern at each pontil which bugs some people including me, but it's a quick way to tell if a handmade has been polished.

Here are a couple before/after pictures of ~1 5/8" for examples sake **results may vary** lol please excuse the quality if I can get the pics to work. Good luck with your marble what ever you decide to do with it!

I'll also add that chips/dings can add a lot of character to these old marbles. Think of the stories that could be told of games on the playground 100 years ago! I think that's pretty cool in itself.

CopyofCopyof100_4700_edited.jpg100_5976_edited.jpg