Collectors...ethics..and The Buy It Now Offer

Getting back to the premise of the original post for this thread, eBay unsolicited buy-it-now offers are similar in ethical quandary to flea market, yard sale and old lady off the street marble show situations. So just wondering, where do you guys think the "reasonable offer" line resides for collectors and dealers? As far as an absolute auction goes (completed eBay sales or estate sale, etc.), knowledge is fair game power to exercise and I go for getting them mibs as cheap as I can. But regarding offers in any arena where I am the one eyed man in the land of the blind, as a collector (not a dealer) I try to assess value "on the fly" and extend an offer that I feel is about 50-60% of retail (depending on the venue). Truth be told, I typically err on the conservative side and overpay regarding that standard. If I made my living selling marbles, it would be reasonable (IMHO) to buy mibs at 33% retail because who knows how long I'd have to carry the mibs in inventory.

I respectfully disagree that the unsolicited "buy it now" is the same ethical category as a flea market.

Each EBay seller has the option to place a legitimate "buy it now" option on their auction. If they don't, it is an open auction and all potential buyers should have the same chance to bid within the framework of the rules. Accepting an unsolicted offer before the auction has run it's course is like rewarding the guy with the most chutzpah and penalizing those who follow the rules. JMHO

I agree in part. I personally have not extended a buy it now price without asking first if one might be considered. The seller can always say no and on the few occasions that I have asked, the sellers have advised that they were not interested in doing so. My reference to unsolicited eBay offers being ethically similar in situation to flea market and garage sale offers, was to suggest that there can be (not always) a common scenario of knowledgeable buyers taking advantage of sellers who might not know what they have, regarding value. In any case, it is always a good idea for a seller to research what they are selling before excepting a non-competitive offer. If they don't have the time or understanding to do that, then a competitive auction takes care of that issue, IMHO.