Id Help - Green Red

PoorMouchette

I bought a bag full of marbles about 12 years ago, from an old man's estate. I'm a jeweler, and don't know anything at all about marbles, so I just hung on to them. I believe them to be older. . . maybe one of you knowledgeable people can tell me something about them. Here's the first one. The colors are pretty true. Thanks in advance for any help!

post-3676-0-15936300-1422224482_thumb.jp

Hello. Welcome Mouchette. :)

One view can be difficult to go by. However, this one view of this particular marble makes me think of it as modern (after 1970). Made in Asia. Called an "Imperial" because of a toy company known for distributing that style.

More views might make me change my mind.

The reddish ribbon is striking. That looks like oxblood. I've seen oxblood on blue marbles from the Imperial family but I'm not familiar with them on green, and that's a nice solid band, so that's cool.

Thanks, Pedidoll! I just read the photo posting tips thread, so here's a photo of my guy with his friends :blush: . The solid colored marbles (blood colored, mustard colored, blue, white) are all swirly upon closer inspection. The black ones have a different surface than the others, less round and with what almost seems like a cut texture. The marble I posted above is the only one of its kind in the group. I think they were played and there is a big, gnarly ceramic shooter. Thanks again for your help :wub: !

I tried posting these photos inline, but the forum doesn't seem to like the extension for flickr or photobucket . . . ?

post-3676-0-25896800-1422233533_thumb.jp

Photobucket should work. On your photobucket page do you see something which looks like {img}address.jpg{/img} ... but with square brackets instead of curly brackets?

Looks like you have a Bennington in there, which is an older style.

The solid colors are usually labeled as "game marbles" even if they're larger than the average size used for Chinese Checkers. Separate those out and post a closer of view of the remaining marbles, preferably in lines so we can easily point out which ones we're commenting on. :) (Does look like at least some of those will be oldish.)

(Some solids are considered collectible but it's hard to describe what to look for.)