Jump to content

Need Help To I.d. These Clay Marbles


Recommended Posts

Hi: Acquired these 5 Clay Marbles as part of a recent purchase of a small marble collection and not entirely sure of what they are called. The purple and green are 15/16" in diameter and look like Dyed Clays, but, have eyes like Benningtons ?? The one with the purple lines also looks like a Dyed Clay with the random lines added ?? It also measures 15/16". The next 2 I've never seen before. One has a white base with light brown splotches and a random thick greyish blue linear pattern. It measures 27/32". The last one also has a white base with some thin light brown lines and all over black splotches. It measures 25/32". The latter 2 are highly glazed. All are Mint. Any help with the proper I.D. will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Bob (Metalshelf)




Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just "dyed clays" will work for all three, although the one with the lines might also be called a "rolled commie." Usually the pattern is more random (they were rolled down a slanted shallow trough covered with dye pigment) but this one looks hand painted.

The Bennington-type eyes occur on some dyed clays because the color was thickly applied, and wherever they were touching something else (the shelf, a neighbor) you'd get one . . .

They look to be in great shape. Not that easy to find in that condition, at least when I was looking for some.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Create New...