Introduction to marbles

treetiger

Hey Folks,

I am 60-ish, new to the hobby, but VERY interested! My Aunts tried to get me interested in Marbles when I was a kid, but I was somehow immune. Recently, I was watching YouTube videos on blowing glass and clicked onto one of Steve Bahr's contributions, and got bit by the bug---hard! Now I have full blown chronic-ongoing 'Marble Flu'! It is a bit overwhelming. As I started viewing and lightly studying, it became obvious that this could be an endless study full of gentle entertainment. I've been checking out antique shops here in S.L.C. and found tiny treasures. Identifying these jewels is a formidable task, but a great collection starts with one marble in the hand. I heard of a guy on Facebook who buys certain loads of marbles in lots, take the ones he likes, bags up the rest and deposits them anonymously where kids might find them! I wish to start this open ended form of Geocaching with marbles that I don't need, but someone else might want. Spread the wealth. I include a small note in each plastic bag  that states: these marbles are" finders/keepers", "start your collection with the treasures they have just found, and Do Not eat them!!!'. I will have lots of questions and appreciate your patience. Now back to adding to my Marble study Journal, and peeping through the magnifying glass.

Best wishes- and may all good latticinios be yours

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I do a similar thing of leaving marbles, but I was working in a marble themed state park. 

When people rent out pavilions near the marble yard, I usually tried to leave marbles around for the kids to try. Usually they would start throwing them or something, but with a little guidance they get the idea. 

You might want to try adding some directions for simple marble games. I find people doing all sorts of things and getting frustrated when the game they created isn't what they were after. Directions for "ringer" or plain school yard type games always helps.