Marbles games you play

I am starting to think I am one of the few people on this website who actually plays marbles.  I hope not.  I would love to hear about the different types of games you guys play. It seems like ringer and rolley hole have been discussed before.  But we play so many others as well.  I read a book about the marbles tournaments sponsored by the VFWs back in the day.  One of the kids remembers playing a game called goob.   It was like ringer accept all the marbles were piled up on the center of the ring, with one small marble at the top of the pile known as the goob.  You played just like ringer accept, when someone knocked out the goob, they got all the marbles that remained in the ring.  

15 minutes ago, Big Billy red beard said:

I am starting to think I am one of the few people on this website who actually plays marbles . . .

You're a lucky guy, I can't find anyone around here to play with!

It’s pretty hard around here too.  But I managed to convince a few folks.  

On 10/15/2023 at 7:15 PM, Big Billy red beard said:

I am starting to think I am one of the few people on this website who actually plays marbles.  I hope not.  I would love to hear about the different types of games you guys play. It seems like ringer and rolley hole have been discussed before.  But we play so many others as well.  I read a book about the marbles tournaments sponsored by the VFWs back in the day.  One of the kids remembers playing a game called goob.   It was like ringer accept all the marbles were piled up on the center of the ring, with one small marble at the top of the pile known as the goob.  You played just like ringer accept, when someone knocked out the goob, they got all the marbles that remained in the ring.  

We also a play game we call International marbles.  I saw some videos on YouTube of folks in the Czech Republic playing it.  You dig a hole at one end of a playing area.  About 20 feet away each player stands and pitches 10 marbles towards the hole.   Then her opponent pitches her 10 marbles toward the same hole.  Next, players alternate flicking one of their marbles towards the hole.  The player who gets all of her marbles into the hole first wins.  

I do find myself guilty of talking a bit much about Rolley Hole, though very few people play that game and even fewer find it relatable to what they play/ have played. I go around middle and east Tennessee doing a lot of talk about marbles, but very few people really want to play. They do very much like seeing my handmade marbles and they always like the stories and folklore aspects of the game, but it usually ends there. 

Here we have to focus on the cultural and historic significance of the game, and those coming to learn about it are city folks who saw it on CBS. There's nothing wrong with that, but that demographic would rather enjoy demonstration over participation. So often times I will be on the yard talking to a very interactive audience, but when it comes to the point in the program where it's time to play, they usually clear out. 

When it comes to kids, if they do show up their parents made them, and they aren't happy about it. They try to quickly get the program over with so they can go back to the more fun stuff like cabins, campgrounds, playground, or the pool. 

All that being said, if you know where to go around here, there isn't a shortage of people to play with. I am awful at marbles so typically I stay at the park and make marbles instead of going around trying to play marbles. I do know of 2 indoor yards that have heat for the winter and fans for the summer, but that's about it. The marble players I have talked to about this forum really don't have an interest in it. 

Kinda a lengthy thing I know, so I will say what I play. I play Rolley Hole, Georgia Rolley Hole, ringer, schoolyard, and once played "British". I do not play Tennessee Square (would like to learn), or anything else. I probably haven't played any marble game in over a month since it just isn't enjoyable without the community, and that's what marbles in most areas will and always will lack.  

I love rolley hole.   We play quite a bit.  I also very much enjoy your posts.  They are some of my favorites on the site.  So please keep them coming.  

Tennessee square was my favorite game for awhile, but I think rolley hole has caught up with it recently.  I had a set of Tennessee square flint marbles made for me down in Kentucky 2 Christmases ago.  They’re beautiful and we use them all the time. 

Thanks for posting the rules on Georgia rolley hole.  I read them and am going to start adding that to our rotation.  If you get a chance to post the rules at some point, I would love to learn how to play schoolyard. I haven’t heard of that one before.  

Thanks for adding onto the post. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/27/2023 at 11:08 AM, Big Billy red beard said:

I love rolley hole.   We play quite a bit.  I also very much enjoy your posts.  They are some of my favorites on the site.  So please keep them coming.  

Tennessee square was my favorite game for awhile, but I think rolley hole has caught up with it recently.  I had a set of Tennessee square flint marbles made for me down in Kentucky 2 Christmases ago.  They’re beautiful and we use them all the time. 

Thanks for posting the rules on Georgia rolley hole.  I read them and am going to start adding that to our rotation.  If you get a chance to post the rules at some point, I would love to learn how to play schoolyard. I haven’t heard of that one before.  

Thanks for adding onto the post. 

Forgot to get back to you on this. I actually don't have any rules for Tennessee Square and have found no info on how to play. Do you have anything? 

I have been a bit caught up with making marbles lately and haven't played any marbles in a long time. Sometimes I get down and shoot some but not often. 

"Schoolyard" is a general term we use around these parts to vaguely describe games commonly played by kids back in the day. Usually when we play this, it is an overflow from too many people showing up for ringer, or we have people who are frustrated by not having any luck in ringer. Basically all we do is have a small dirt circle with marbles tossed in the center, and we let people try to shoot those out of the circle. Usually people respond pretty well to it and if they get their confidence up, they'll move on over to ringer again. 

• 2 months later...

My dad talked about playing when he was younger. I would say school yard game. A big circle was drawn and you put your marbles in the center and took turns trying to knock one outside the circle. It became yours. Those games on the ground look fun and I don't mind getting dirty but I can't get back up. LOL. I'd have to play the whole game on the ground. I guess I could build an elevated table or heck even play on a pool table. I use to shoot cheap marbles out of a sling shot and now I'm starting to look in the creek where we use to shoot them. 

• 1 month later...

The gentleman who made arrowhead marble sets used to come to Rolley Hole. I’m not sure when the last time was he attended but we don’t offer this game at the tournament anymore.

What I was told was that the game is meant to be something for folks who can no longer get down and shoot marbles, so it’s a more accessible marble game. Never looked into how it’s played but have seen sets in the marble room at the park. 

• Like 1