Shooter marbles

Ok I’m curious. Need some schoolin. On one of the other threads guys are taking about marble games. The game I’m curious about is where you try to knock your opponents marbles out of a ring with a big shooter.  Now I know a regular marbles usually 1/2 to 5/8 or so and a Shooter marble is at least an inch. I seen some really big marbles way over an inch that are all beat up. How big can a shooter marble be and how do you damage them so bad hitting a regular size marble. Like I said I’m just curious and need some schoolin. If there’s no limit I’m bringing a pool ball. 😁

Kids NEVER allowed an outsized marble anywhere near 1" in a game of marbles.  Almost all kids played with 5/8", which is why they are the most common size.  Older kids might play with < 3/4", but at the older age they generally moved on from marble playing.  Also keep in mind that 3/4 - 1" dia. was too large for most kids to shoot properly due to the size of their hand.  A larger marble has a real advantage over players with smaller marbles.

At the marble tournaments I have been to, all kids played with 5/8". Also, IIRC, true agates were not allowed in games using glass marbles.

Ok, makes since. What about the damage you see on the big German made and Sulfide marbles. Was there games they played with those marbles. Seems like I come across a lot of those that are really dinged up and hazy.  

9 minutes ago, B-rett66 said:

Ok, makes since. What about the damage you see on the big German made and Sulfide marbles. Was there games they played with those marbles. Seems like I come across a lot of those that are really dinged up and hazy.  

There were games that involved rolling or "bowling" that were played in the home.  Hence Carpet Bowls of considerable size.  I know that some big handmades I have bought were found in sewing kits used as darning aids.