Robert Lustig Aka Woodcutter44

Dinkybus

I have just registered with this chat, or I would have notified the marble world sooner of the passing of Bob Lustig in September 2005. Bob was a marble collector for over 20 years, ranging far and wide from his home in Fenton, Michigan. I actually first met him in Kansas City in 1985, at an Everett Grist extravaganza and auction. He made many interesting finds, and like us all, truly enjoyed a bargain, even if he had to burn $50 worth of gas to get it! He was a co-promoter of the short-lived "Antique Marbles Forever" shows in Ann Arbor, Michigan still the only show I am aware of that refused to allow reproductions, contemporaries, whatever you want to call them. He was for the old stuff, and also loved a good boxed set, big or small. We smashed a couple of new marbles for political effect at the first show, a stunt he got a real kick out of. He knew of his impending fate (liver failure), and sold most of his collection on eBay awhile before the sad event overcame him. Life had taken some negative turns before he died, he had financial troubles, and lost 2 of his several dogs, one his second favorite. He also loved cats, and enjoyed their company a great deal. He lived in the country, and had a raft of them. He was a Union (AFL-CIO, I think) carpenter for 30 years, and retired as a teacher at the Union School about 10 years before he died. He built the house he lived in for 25 years, and had plans to do more, but ran out of time. He had no children. He will be missed, he was a very social fellow.

hi dinkybus,

thank you for posting that wonderful tribute. sounds like i missed knowing a great guy. what was bob's ebay name? maybe some of us have his marbles in our collections.

welcome to the forum, by the way!

~chris

Hi Chris~~Thanks for the welcome. Bob's eBay name was Woodcutter44, perhaps with no cap. He was born in 1944, natch. He sold some of his marbles at shows like Columbus, too, but that was before he knew he was a goner.

• 2 months later...

Bob Lustig was an avid marble hunter. Always after the bargain or score. I was able to buy some real nice machine mades & boxed sets from him over the years. A super clean Akro 250 Gift Set stands out.

One time Chris & I made the trip to a Peoria, Illinois Show in one very long day of non-stop driving from Pennsylvania. We were dragging anchor when we registered & got our room. Bob Lustig popped up at the desk with an offer to help us move our gear from the car to our room. With the extra hand it was no time before we were moved in and ready to relax.

At some time during the carry-in, I must have mentioned the desire for a cold Moosehead- my favorite beer. About 9 PM Bob showed up with some of Canada’s Finest - ice cold Moosehead. We got a second wind and the bubbly party noise made it out to the hallway. Soon there was an impromptu hallway party- well lubed marble collectors sharing stories and swapping marbles.

Where Bob came up with Canadian Beer for me in Downtown Peoria I don’t know, but his thoughtful actions cemented an already strong relationship. We looked forward to seeing him at almost every marble show. I am sure he is missed by many of us that played the game during the 80’s & 90’s.

Hoist a brew to Bob today- he would appreciate the gesture.

I’m Hip,

Lloyd Huffer

• 7 months later...
I have just registered with this chat, or I would have notified the marble world sooner of the passing of Bob Lustig in September 2005. Bob was a marble collector for over 20 years, ranging far and wide from his home in Fenton, Michigan. I actually first met him in Kansas City in 1985, at an Everett Grist extravaganza and auction. He made many interesting finds, and like us all, truly enjoyed a bargain, even if he had to burn $50 worth of gas to get it! He was a co-promoter of the short-lived "Antique Marbles Forever" shows in Ann Arbor, Michigan still the only show I am aware of that refused to allow reproductions, contemporaries, whatever you want to call them. He was for the old stuff, and also loved a good boxed set, big or small. We smashed a couple of new marbles for political effect at the first show, a stunt he got a real kick out of. He knew of his impending fate (liver failure), and sold most of his collection on eBay awhile before the sad event overcame him. Life had taken some negative turns before he died, he had financial troubles, and lost 2 of his several dogs, one his second favorite. He also loved cats, and enjoyed their company a great deal. He lived in the country, and had a raft of them. He was a Union (AFL-CIO, I think) carpenter for 30 years, and retired as a teacher at the Union School about 10 years before he died. He built the house he lived in for 25 years, and had plans to do more, but ran out of time. He had no children. He will be missed, he was a very social fellow.

HI, I was just sittin at the computer and missing my Uncle Bob. So I did a google on him and found this precious tribute. It warms my heart. Thank you so much. Not a day goes by when I don't miss him.

Welcome!!!

I didn't personally know your uncle, but I'm thrilled that our board was able to give you a glimpse of how some of his marble collecting friends cared about him....

We've lost some wonderful people over the past few years... All are sorely missed!!