Items Still Needed

glangley

I just wanted to through this out there again. Being that tax time is just around the corner and I am hoping to beg and plead my wife for the money to purchase a torch and some tools to get me started creating some mib's. If anyone has upgraded their equipment, or has some lying around they may want to get some extra coin for please let me know. I am in need of a torch, hoses, regulators, and some basic bench tools as well as some eye protection. Hope to have taxes back sooner than later, probably mid to late Feb. Thank you everyone and God Bless

Thanks Nathan and Sue! Nathan I'll give you a holler when taxes get back, hopefully sooner than later! hehe I got a eight foot stainless steel table from my sister that I have yet to go pick up. Is that ok by itself for a work space or should I put down something on top like brick or graphite pads or something else? Thanks!

I got a eight foot stainless steel table from my sister

Damn Gary!!! That's a GREAT score!!!

Stainless steel is the best, based on what I've heard (My son has been toying with this. I've been gathering info. But, in his senior year of HS, it's taking a back seat)

Here's a pic of the Carlisle Flame-off. They have 2 of these cool circular work stations that can handle 6 workers at a time. They're sitting right on the steel...

Two other tips I got from there...

An unpainted concrete floor (kept clean so anything dropped might recover without picking up crud)

And... Ventilation, Ventilation, VENTILATION!!!!

In the past year or so, there seems to be an increase in reports of glass artists with cancer issues in the respiratory / throat area... Coincidence?? I doubt it....

post-3-1232479601_thumb.jpg

Ventilation is definately on the list. Being that my new barn is 32ft X 36ft I have plenty of room. I thought of wall mounting a huge industrial fan and running sealed conduit from there to just behind and above the bench. A two, maybe three foot diameter fan should provide plenty of draw to suck out the nasty's. The floor is totally concrete slab which was the slab left over from my 40ft X 80ft barn after it burned to the ground just before my father passed away. I thought of maybe using some concrete paver's under the table and work area just for some added protection and what-not. I did have another, maybe silly, question to ask though.

Since this is the time for a greener earth, and recycling is catching on. Is there a way to reuse glass to make marbles? Or would it only be suited for things like ash trays and decoration? Specifically, the bottles of wine that my wife enjoys comes in a beautiful deep blue bottle. I would love to use it somehow rather than to simply chuck it out with the trash, plus it would help keep costs down if there was a way to use it, and more importantly, it's pretty! lol Even if I had to add something to it to make it work, that would be ok too unless the cost would be higher than just buying the right stuff in the first place. If anyone knows, I would be very appreciative for information.

Thank you again! and God Bless!

Gary, I can't answer that question.... Again, GA is probably the place for it...

But... I can't remember... Were you interested in working with soft glass (wine bottles) or Boro? (Like Pyrex)

The 2 don't mix and are different in the way they're handled... Few glass workers do both...

Both have positive and negative aspects...

So.... If it is possible to use the bottles, that would be a lean towards soft glass.

Ah, gotcha Sue and thanks for that. Here's the deal... I want to work boro and make marbles. My wife is also thinking of trying her hand at this and she would be working primarily with soft glass making anything but marbles probably! lol Thanks for the info!

Gary

I may have found a good deal on a Nortel major/minor combo that includes a marver and hoses. It's used but in good shape and they want just over 200 bones for it. Is that a good of a deal as I think it is? Thanks in advance! God Bless!

• 3 weeks later...

If Nathan's tools can make marbles like his avatar, and the many other wonderful things at eyecandyarts.com, they must be really good! ;)

(I was particularly blown-away by the marble stands.) Happy Saturday to everyone, Bob

Thanks a ton Nathan!! And Bob, he's mibs are absolutely stunning! I have a stand and mib that he and Kaj did for me awhile back and I have to tell you they are both incredibly awesome! I even have one of his that fractured and I carry it around with me with my pill box and pocket knife when ever I leave the house. It's so beautiful, it looks like it has a life of it's own! And the optical properties of the glass make the spiral look amazing! When you hold it in your hand it looks deeper than possible and it's a total mind trip! My daughter, who is now four years old, loves it when I let her hold it. She actually takes after her dad in more ways than one. I use some of my mibs to help me meditate to relieve pain when trying to sleep at night or during the day when it get's over powering. My daughter doesn't really understand why I do it, but here's a funny story.

Macy, my baby girl, has been carrying around her blanket for the last three years. When she goes to bed, she holds the blanket and rubs the silky tag between her thumb and forefinger while sucking her thumb of the other hand. Since she has seen me using marbles to sleep with, she has adobted this as well with Nathan's mib with the fracture. (I let her hold this one and rub it like her tag much like I do when meditating only because it's big enough that it wouldn't fit in her mouth even by accident.) It is the ONLY, and I stress the word ONLY, thing she will use for a substitute for her blanket!! I wish I would have known this sooner as when it comes time to wash her blanket and it's not dry before bed time, Or when we simply cannot find where she left her blanket before it's time to lay her down for bed, boy there is trouble to be had! lol My wife and I even went so far as to buy two of the same exact blankets from the store to get around this problem! But Macy knows they are not her, "Taggers" as she calls it, even when it's pitch black in the room!! lol Now that I know she takes after her father, it only makes me smile, and appreciate all the hard work Nathan puts into his work to make them the smoothest beauties in my collection. He is a great artist for sure! And a great person and friend.

Your awesome Nathan! Love ya brother!