Please Show Me U.s. Marbles I Should Know

rookie

ITS BEEN A COUPLE MONTHS SINCE I'VE SEEN ANYTHING NEW TO ME, BLUE GALAXY WAS LAST U.S. MARBLE, AND A LIGHTNING STRIKE WAS THE LAST NON U.S., A COUPLE NICE TO KNOW. I LIVE IN OHIO SO ITS EASY FOR ME TO FIND U.S. MADE MARBLES IN THE SPRING AT GARAGE SALES.

I KNOW GUINEAS, STRIPED OPAQUES, LAYERED SAND, COBRAS, FLAMES AND SUBMARINES BY CHRISTENSEN,

BIG NAMES FROM ALL MAKERS LIKE WATERMELON, SUPERMAN, SPIDERMAN ETC THAT ARE ON EVERY SITE OUT THERE....

WHAT I WANTED TO SEE WAS WHAT YOU CANT EASILY SEE ONLINE...

What you cannot easily see on line are the ones rarely found at garage sales. Having said that, there is still a chance, and there are bound to still be some rarities to find "in the wild". What do you personally collect?

I HAVE LOOKED AT EVERY THREAD ON THIS SITE AS WELL AS, MARBLEALLEN, MARBLARIUM, PELTIERMARBLES.COM, MARQUEE AND BLOCK AUCTIONS, TWO BOOKS, AS WELL AS EBAY EVERY DAY FOR 18 MONTHS... I NEED A NEW FIX OF SOME NEW PICS!!!

I WAS BUYING AND SELLING ALL ANTIQUES FOR PROFIT AND REALIZED I NEEDED TO SPECIALIZE IN ONE AREA TO AVOID

ACCUMULATING THINGS I COULD NOT SELL. DURRING THIS TIME I WOULD NOT SELL ANYTHING UNTIL I IDENTIFIED AND PRICED THEM, MARBLES WERE HARDER TO ID AND I HAD SPENT SO MUCH TIME DOING SO I BECAME OBSESSED TO THE POINT I NEVER SOLD ANY. BUYING 200-400 MARBLES AT A TIME FOR $50.00 TO $150.00 THE RETURN CAN BE FANTASTIC.

I AM A PROFESSIONAL TREASURE HUNTER; I ALSO OWN MY OWN FIBER OPTIC CATV CONSTRUCTION BUSINESS THAT INVOLVES LIMITED PERSONAL INVOLVEMENT WHICH MAKES IT ALL POSSIBLE.

NOW I'M BACK TO SELLING, SO I GUESS I DONT COLLECT ANYMORE, I BUY TO SELL.

I recommend spending time at marbles shows handling marbles and discussing the many variants of a single type with experienced collectors. Learning to ID marbles from photos is the pathway to mis-identification. I am convinced that the reason Ebay is so full of mis-identified marbles is that inexperience people buy a book (or look online) and try to match what they have with the closest looking marble (usually by color alone) that is worth a lot.

There is no substitute for handling tens of thousands of marbles and looking at their nuances and variations to get a feel for the fine art of identification.

SOUNDS LIKE MY NEXT STEP, THANK YOU.

I HAVE BEEN TO ALOT OF ARTIFACT SHOWS, GOT TO KNOW THE DEALERS, VARIANTS, HANDLED LOTS OF FLINT AND, LIKE YOU SAID, LEARNED MORE THAN I COULD ANY OTHER WAY.

THANKS FOR CARING ENOUGH ABOUT US "rookies" TO RESPOND, I APPRECIATE IT.

SCOTT