Pelt Sunset Agates Revisited

Steph

(click pix to enlarge)

1931_03_29_SunsetAgatesBoxForSal-1.jpg . . . post-279-1189046905-1.jpg

They were offered as a prize to the 4th place scorer in Madison, WI's marble tournament.

The first place winner was to receive a new suit of clothes, dress shoes, and the trip to Chicago for the regional competition. But in the end, the hardware store gave both boys a box of marbles and a Cornelian shooter.

th_1931_03_29_SunsetAgatesBoxAsPrize.jpg . . . th_1931_04_23_RomanzoHome_SunsetAgates.jpg

I'm calling this a clue. :-)

1931_03_29_SunsetAgates_Wisconsin.jpg

The peerless were from about the same time. You think they'd be less expensive than the NLR's? ... er .... NMS's? If so, I don't imagine by much. I might have another clue somewhere, about relative cost of Peerless in comparison to NLR's.

Nice box, Charles.

Hmmm ... looked at some other ads and they're all over the place in prices. I can't tell whether this one was a bargain or par for the course. One said the Peerless box was 50 cents wholesale in 1931. But that seems very high for wholesale. It didn't give me rainbos to compare the peerlesses to. I'll just call 50 cents a "clue" and leave it at that for now.

With prices the way they were in the '30's I wonder how many sets were actually baught. There can't be very many complete sets out there. I would imagine that the sets that were baught went to kids, and we know how kids are with toys. It would be neat to know how many are left.

Now that I think of it, it's sort of surprising to see a whole box for sale.

The biggest gift box in the Akro catalog I posted in that other thread today, that biggest box had 96 marbles. We're talking special occasion there. 100 beautiful glass marbles for a boy in 1931, or any earlier year, is really a wild thought. Clay marbles were still pretty standard in this time, I think.

To have 100 brightly colored new pelts all at one time?