Question On Cross Thru Cats

in the guide to cat's eye marbles it shows (high end) 5/8" 6 vane 3 color .25, 5/8" 6 vane 3 color white cross thru 6.00 and 5/8" 6 vane 3 color transparent 5.00 so one might assume that a 5/8" 6 vane transparent white cross thru would be 11.00. i am finding a few of the transparent cross thrus and was just curious. thanks, jack

Let me give you a little of my history with this category of cat's-eye marble. For starters, of course, these prices are somewhat dated but you can still make relative estimates. I have been selling a set of six different color combination with white x-thru in the 5/8" size for anywhere from $35 to $45+. It's nice having a set rather than just individual ones. I have only been able to get together a set of eight different(color combinations) of this marble type twice. I'm not sure where you found the value for the ones with transparent vanes but I can most definitely state that getting together a set of any of the above with all transparent vanes is well nigh next to impossible. I have one set of six different color combinations that have transparent vanes. So figure from that. I know that Marlow rated the transparent vane variety highly. Your ther obvious knowledgable person on this would be Pinx at Marble Mental. My extensive 87 photograph CAT'S-EYE SERIES at that website goes into some of these matters at length and you might go back through the pages there and take a look. Not sure myself as I'm banned at Marble Mental for having Posted Scott Patrick's Rap Sheet. Surprise, surprise! David

P.S. One of my favorite sets and it's not a cross through at all but a straight 6 vane, 3 color, 3V but I have nine different color combinations, each in 1 inch and they are crystal clear with fine vanes. Absolutely killer!

I'd pull them and only sell them as a set o/w you get creamed. Or maybe wait 'till that eighth one turns up. I've never especially gone for the vane variations so much as I have for the aesthetics of exceptional cat's-eye marbles yet there are a lot of cat's-eye enthusiasts that hold stock in vane variations. Marlow especially encouraged this in his book and he prized the unusual vane color combinations and the manner of their distribution within the marble. I recall that he was really stoked over some 6 Vane, 2 color, 3-3 varieties. I've only seen a very few myself. David