Some Killer Backlit Pic's Of A Beauty

glangley

This could be a Jabo, or Vacor, not really sure but it's just fantastic. It has the truest looking opal color with terrific glimses of green and light purple coupled with this dark green translucent patch, that when backlit, just blows my mind. lol Enjoy!

post-1945-126626544416_thumb.jpg

post-1945-126626545669_thumb.jpg

post-1945-126626547116_thumb.jpg

I'm a little confused by the use of the description "opal". I think I may not be fully appreciating what you are seeing. My loss!!!!

You know the newer mibs that have that kind of opal sheen? This doesn't, yet their is this milky-greenish-purply part on there that when you hold it in your hand, it's just stunning. Maybe more like abalone, or mother of peal, it's a knock out. I just wish I could take better pictures of it. :)

Lately it's been brought to my attention that opal could mean a number of things. I KNEW that, but didn't think about. For instance, on a contemporary marble board, "opal" is completely different from the "opalescence" we say we see in a vintage marble.

Pretty google opal picture, just coZ! lol

opal8_full.jpg

Opal has been a tough concept for me to grasp in the world of marbles. In my eye, an Acme Realer has true opal traits as it has a fiery glint that really moves. Other marbles that have been described as opal look more like pearlized opaque or even iradized surface sheen. I have worked in stained glass for many years, and have watched the terms opal, opalescent, opalized, iradized, pearlescent, pealized all used interchangeably, and it seems by default to have been accepted. It is up to the glass artist to figure it out. I'm sticking with the Acme Realer to best describe opal's fiery look.

Ok, I think I have captured the opal look of this mib, as good as it's going to get anyway. I wasn't posting for an id as I think it may be a vitro, one killer vitro! lol But I wanted to share the opal look of this mib as it's just gorgeous!

post-1945-126654327771_thumb.jpg

post-1945-126654331049_thumb.jpg

post-1945-12665433629_thumb.jpg