Is There A Name For This Design?

Remodelling a house that was built during the 1850's in Missouri, I found quite a few marbles scattered around in an area that there was no possible access to since the house was built. There were also a few coins dated in the 1840's and 1850's, all from Prussia (Germany). The numerous interesting marbles may have created a couple of new marble collectors out of my girlfriend and myself.

So, I'm completely new to all this, and would like to put a name and if possible, an age and manufacturer to some of these marbles. Here is the one I am most interested in at the moment, it is about 1 1/4" diameter. Thanks for any help, and any suggestions to someone new to the world of marbles. Setting a dollar value is not an issue to us unless we should consider getting insurance for them or could they could lead to early retirement :)

post-2602-127016261765_thumb.jpg

I believe these are intersecting parallel lines rather than a helix line which would be a continuous line. And they date to the 1846-1870 period. For its type it is common(according to Carskadden and Gartley) although that is exceedingly relative. Nice large example nonetheless and as good a jumping off point for collecting marbles as anything else. David

WOW!! How NICE!!!! Yeah, I guess that could be considered a fairly common design... But, even at that, not a common marble by any means and that size is fabulous!!!

As far as a name is concerned, "Glazed" should be added to what has been said. It has a finished, glazed surface, rather than the more common "unglazed" chinas...

I'd be walking a little above the ground after finding that in my house!!

Congratulations!!! BIG TIME!!!! :D

OK..... Let's see some more!!! :cool-smileys-262:

Hi Kushtaka, welcome to the board! Love your name, kinda lean that way myself! Unlike my counterparts (sorry Sue, you beat me to the post) I actually collect these marbles, so will hopefully give better information! Yours is a Late Period (circa 1890 to 1910) glazed lined China. Handmade in Germany and made of the same material as your Grandma's plates, that's why they're named China's. Your China is way above average for these Late Period marbles! Usually the lines are never that even (check out Mark's link) and you never see them this BIG! Here's a pic of a 4 quadrant 4 color glazed Late Period, over an inch. And a case of Early Period (1840's to 1860's) and Middle Period (1870's to 1880's) marbles. The biggest marble in the case is 1 7/32" the pinwheel is 1 3/16"

post-130-127022546049_thumb.jpg

post-130-127022549788_thumb.jpg

post-130-127022556866_thumb.jpg

Hard to figure how the marble could be from 1890-1910 if as Kushtaka says the home was built in the 1850s and the marble(s) were found "in an area where there was no possible access to since the house was built." Of course we know about marbles falling through cracks and maybe even traveling with a mind of their own. Yet, I did read Carskadden and Gartley wrong and they do designate this glazed variety for the Later Period, so my error. I defer to Scott's knowledge. I really do not collect these. David