What Could I Do With This One

orbboy

Wonder how many newbies I could hook with this one. Darken the pics a tad, lose some scruples and I could be a hundredaire. True Akro nuts would know right away that it was not an Oxblood just by the fact it is a tad under 1" But how is a newbie gonna know that?

post-218-127121746977_thumb.jpg

I actually had to lighten the pics a little bit. Otherwise it looks even more like Oxblood. This way the hints of transparent glass show. All it is is a Shooter Akro Cork with a pretty odd red colour. Neat Huh?

Interesting and you're right about the size being a give-away. Most new collectors if not taken under someone's wing right away are all over the board in their acceptance of what constitutes oxblood. It has got to be one of the most confused colors going. Heck, I had some Red Jasper mineral marbles very early on that I could have sworn had oxblood! David

I don't believe there's any size rule as all size marbles have had oxblood. It's just that with experience some of us have come to recognize that a certain style(color, pattern, etc) of marble that also has oxblood is generally found in a specific size. So, seeing the marble in this thread and realizing it is just at 1 inch would immediately have a "I don't think so" thought come to my mind because the likelihood of oxblood occuring in a marble of that size in a cork screwing configuraion would be on the far end of possibilities. David

As a general accepted rule, most Akro with Oxblood stop at 3/4" or a hair larger. This includes the Silver Oxes, Blue Oxes, Eggyolk, Lemonade Oxes ect ect... There are larger Akro oxes than 3/4" but they show up as 2 seam patch types (look on ebay at a reputable seller I sold my 3 so no pics sorry). These 2 seam ones can reach 1". I'm sure someone has some pics of them for you.

There are some Akro Oxblood fakes out there that are big, but as far as I know they are in a honest persons collection and would never be offered as old.