Aces

sissydear

Steph, I found a yellow and 2 orange aces at Standing Stone. Also found a red one. I am certain I have a blue one and a red one in my marble cabinet. I'll do pics when I get time to do it. If I have those colors, maybe that answers one of your questions. My red one corks more than the orange and yellow ones.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got the pics done. I searched all my Akro Agate and did not find a blue or green ace. I did find yellow, orange, red. I also found a white base with a white and a red cork. I took time to check the white based yellow corks in my collection and they are not opalescent, but some are translucent white glass.

Here are two views of the opalescent ones called Aces. I don't think the the ones with white/red and orange/red are properly called Aces? Wouldn't that refer to the one colored corks only?

aces-akro-2.jpg

aces-akro.jpg

Interesting .........

messing with my head! :D That sure looks like an Ace ... but it's the biggest one I've seen and they're not listed as quite that big in the advertisements I know about. But maybe that could be a #2 still? You think? .8 is closer to #2 than to #4.

*walks back to drawing board*

They werent' exact back then or now. Unless they threw away the under and over sized marbles. JABO keeps them. Marble King threw them away. The glass while opalescent is also cloudy. That shooter isn't UV glass. I was hoping to help your research. Oh well.

You have, thanks. It's really nice to see a shooter. Folks don't post Aces much. And I can understand why. They're surprisingly hard to ID.

I got some marbles in the mail the other day which I was hoping would be Aces, and I'm still not sure they're not. But if there is opalescence in 'em it's subtle. I'm still open to any input on the range of variation of the marbles Akro called Aces. It would be awesome to see a box of 'em someday. lol. Not many people would have as much fun as I would just holding white based corkscrews up to a light.

I picked through Roy Kays' marbles to find them at Standing Stone. Did not see any at Sistersville, although I did buy a lot of opalescent Vitro Agates. Got most of them for $1 to $2 each. They vary in transparency of the glass too. The opalescense is really noticeablel in some and covered with opaque white glass in others and then there is the in between ones. I have a shooter opal that is covered in white glass. Wish I had a shooter size that was almost transparent.

I think it's oxblood, but not the typical Akro Agate oxblood. I have several oxbloods in Akro that are creamy looking and thick. I think they used the color like all the other companies. Oxblood referred to the color rather than a specific formula. An eggyolk oxblood comes to my mind.