Hello Everyone!

I just wanted to say hello on my first post and ease into gen. marble.

First off I would like to ask if there is a thread or sub-forum dedicated to noobs that are starting to get into marbles. My wife found a marble run at a garage sale for next to nothing and I've been working with my daughter on building it and having some fun. I decided to dig out some of my marbles from a few years ago nothing special just some mega; roosters, and treefrogs, and started to think "man these are cool looking, I wonder what else is out there?". Since this we have been messing around with the run or a marble game nearly every night for 2 weeks. My marbles as a kid where cheap cats eyes that mostly got used for a game or two then turned into slingshot fodder. After looking around there are some other styles that I really would like to have and not shoot them into the woods or splash to the bottom of a lake. I'm just looking for some general guidelines on what some good resources are and rules of thumb for starting a collection. Thanks!

Auctions, both near and virtual, can be a good source for marbles. You might even luck into finding some at a flea market or antiques shop. It's getting harder to find them "in the wild", as we say here. Ebay of course, but stick with sellers you learn about who have a good track record for selling authentically old marbles, if you want vintage. Best advice I was given was collect what you like and try to buy the best of that type. Most of us spent way too much starting out, myself included.

Thanks for the advice. I'm a little shy about using ebay at least until I'm a little more up to speed. The stuff I worry about on there are fakes, and lots where the "cream of the crop" as they say has been pulled out already and still sold unwitingly to a buyer at a primo price. One thing as a noob that I don't get is why finder-polished dug marbles seem to be generally avoided? So far Akro specials are what have caught my eye, and from what I've read to this point, most of them seem to have easily recognizable traits.

Buy multiple marble books,if your interested in "collecting" marbles.Study them for a while,before you start spending any significant $$$$$.They can get you started,but can also be confusing at times,if you do not take the time,to read,and understand about the differant companies patterns(structure).

Marble shows,and discussion boards,like this one,can be excelent to further your marble hobbying.

Thanks everyone! I think I missed the closest show to me this year with the Kansas City club. If there are other shows close, what's a good resource to find out about them? I'm going to take it slow and try to devote my efforts to one particular marble at a time until I feel that niche in my marbles is filled. The Akro special I chose as my first to find are the black, yellow, and red tri-colors. I see them refered to on the net as indian blankets but they are all over the place in price, and seemingly in pattern of color. What should they sell for in good condition and should the red always be totally wrapped in yellow?

I think I will continue to collect roosters. They're just 2 colors and are still in production, but they're my favortie looking type in the more odd examples. I'll try to post some pic's of my better ones soon. I got in a pound of 5/8 roosters and a dozen boulders on Friday. I know the runs can vary in color but my 5/8 were pretty ho-hum. On the other hand my boulders were really, really nice. With the 5/8 there where only a few nice ones, nothing compared to the ones I already have that I bought in nets years ago. Will Mega nets have better marbles in them than bulk order or it just a good vs. bad run of marbles that determines color?