This Might Be The Best Post Office Story Yet

BobBlock

I received two packages in the mail today. They were packages of marbles I sold on Ebay that I had mailed to the same person in South Africa. They were returned to me as Undeliverable Addressee Unknown.

The best part is that I mailed them on October 6, 2011. Yes, you read right, 2011.

They are marked as Undeliverable by the South Africa Post on August 2, 2012.

So, it took them over 10 months to decided they could not be delivered, and then it took an additional 2-1/2 months to get back to me.

I wonder if that is some kind of record?

Bob,

I purchased a marble on ebay in Dec 2009. I soon recieved email from other buyers who had not recieved their marbles. Aparently others had problems with seller also as paypal refunded my money a few weeks later no questions asked. I went to the post office in May 2011 and found I had a package. I was not expecting anything so I was puzzled. I opened the box and it contained a blue soild core in poor condition, as was the box with no legible return address. I started through my records and sure enough it was the marble from Dec 2009. Seller was no longer on ebay no way to contact. Mine wasn't shipped nearly as far but it took longer.

Bill

the postal system has become a nightmare. i called the sort facility a couple times in seattle. couldn't get any one that spoke english well enough to communicate with... gee wonder if that could be the problem? lol

Good one Bill!

Zaboo, I've found that I have a much better record with the USPS over the past couple of years since I started printing out online labels with delivery confirmation on them. Before that I would say they were easily losing at least 1 in a hundred and probably more. Now, I think there has only been one package in the past year that didn't make it to its destination. My bigger problem has been that one of these subcontracted postal annexes opened up in the quickie mart down the street from me. Sometimes I'll drop the packages in the bin there on my way to work and sometimes my wife will drop them off at the post office. I've found, for some reason, that packages that get dropped in the quickie mart bin invariably take 3 or 4 days longer to get to their destination than those dropped at the PO. I can see one day, but 3 or 4 is really confusing.

hi Bob, i think it's just the issues here. love my postman, he grew up across the street, known him since he was about 7. lol he always watches out for me. scans asap on outgoing and never leaves anything on the porch if i am not home. good kid, past him? who the heck knows! I have had more issues in the last year than ever before. they have all kinds of excuses too. actually had a fill in post person deliver the wrong mail to my house. stopped her, and she said she couldn't read english only numbers. HUH?! no kidding, I bet she's in sorting now. i check the tracking on packages almost every day. amazing how many say 'mis sent'. i guess it's like Ebay, for the moment it's the best game in town. (sigh)

~Dani

Never had one problem and can't believe how they do what they do so cheaply(oh wait, they are way in the red), But past that, I have sent and received thousands of letters and packages in the last 15 years and the only problems were when someone sent UPS or Fedex and they just throw the package in the front yard. EDIT: hope I didn't just curse myself with this post!!

I think UPS depends on which driver you get that day. You have to come down a 125 foot long narrow drive through the woods to get to our main driveway. We have one driver that opens up our garage door and leaves the packages inside (which is great!), one driver who just leaves them on top of the retaining wall (had an entire case of price guides ruined in the rain that way) and a third driver who just tosses it on the grass by the driveway all the way up at the street.