Ok Guys And Gals ... What Do I Have Here ?

shotgun

The top one looks like an agate. Actual stone.

And it looks like it has moons, so I bet it's an old one. Could have been some boy's shooter 100 years ago.

The bottom four marbles look new. I think they're Vacors, from the last 15 years.

Top one is most likely a Brazilian agate - hand ground in Germany - making a shooter. It was probably not dyed. The pole opposite the nice strata bands has what is called "sugaring." This is a softer area of weakness where the agate did not completely crystalize and is considered an imperfection.

The "moon" impact fractures cam be masked by soaking the agate for several days in olive oil. In earlier times lard was the preferred soak.

Big Indian

OK .... Question ... how far back in time does the term .... MODERN go as far as year ??? Also , some more to look at ... If you know what they are ... please let me know .... this can get real crazy for a novice to figure out ....

Thanks Doug

411736687.jpg

411736686.jpg

411736685.jpg

411736684.jpg

411736683.jpg

411736682.jpg

411736681.jpg

Doug. Welcome to marble collecting. Take a deep breath and slow down a bit. ID's are best like your first post, with one (ideally) or two mibs. Show several views and roll them around. You've got lots going on in post #5...and some potentially interesting things. A flame for example in the first photo first row right in post #5; and corks, and patches. Some look older, some look newer, can't be sure. Give several views, and maybe only group things you think are similar by construction or style of glass. You seem anxious to figure it out all at once...and I can assure you, marbles resist easy comprehension. If the professionals here start working on these pictures, you will be so lost in ID's, and worse possible IDs that you might give up right when you get started. Good luck. PS...put these in the Marble Identification thread. John

Doug. Welcome to marble collecting. Take a deep breath and slow down a bit. ID's are best like your first post, with one (ideally) or two mibs. Show several views and roll them around. You've got lots going on in post #5...and some potentially interesting things. A flame for example in the first photo first row right in post #5; and corks, and patches. Some look older, some look newer, can't be sure. Give several views, and maybe only group things you think are similar by construction or style of glass. You seem anxious to figure it out all at once...and I can assure you, marbles resist easy comprehension. If the professionals here start working on these pictures, you will be so lost in ID's, and worse possible IDs that you might give up right when you get started. Good luck. PS...put these in the Marble Identification thread. John

OK , I think I have it all together now ... just so much to take in ... Fishing Lures are MUCH easier .... Marble Identification thread ??? I didn't see it ... Will use it from this point on .... You marble people must be a little on the crazy side for putting yourself through this torture ... But they sure are pretty ...

Thanks .... Doug

He meant the Marble ID forum: http://marbleconnection.com/forum/22-marble-ids/

Best to start a new thread for each group.

Less confusing that way. Ten marbles would be a lot for one thread, though sometimes manageable. Four times ten marbles is ... not as manageable. :)

Always glad to help, of course.

If you can master one type, you can whittle down the unknowns.

You do have a mixture of new and old.

To me the ones on the top three rows here are a distinctive type.

imperials_sm.jpg

If you can pull out all the ones which you think look like this, you could give us a group shot and we could say yes or no to whether you let some other type slip in. And that would take a big bite out of your unknowns.

(You have some of those in the photos above -- and also a golden version of that style.)