Hoody

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

This is an oldie, but one I never figured out.  Getting out my paper now to try to solve it.

Three people check into a hotel room. The clerk says the bill is $30, so each guest pays $10. Later the clerk realizes the bill should only be $25. To rectify this, he gives the bellhop $5 to return to the guests. On the way to the room, the bellhop realizes that he cannot divide the money equally. As the guests didn't know the total of the revised bill, the bellhop decides to just give each guest $1 and keep $2 as a tip for himself. Each guest got $1 back: so now each guest only paid $9; bringing the total paid to $27. The bellhop has $2. And $27 + $2 = $29 so, if the guests originally handed over $30, what happened to the remaining $1?

Okay, I finally got it sort of.  I know where all the money is.  I know where the mistake is.  

What I don't know is why it's so easy for that particular problem to trick us.  

Steph's riddle resembles me to this one:

Once there was an oriental trader who passed away. His wife passed away long ago so he left 3 sons and 17 camels. In his last will he said that his three sons shall receive a share of his camels as follows:

The oldest son shall get 1/2 of all the camels.
The middle son shall get 1/3 of all the camels.
The youngest son shall get 1/9 of all the camels.
No camel shall be sold or slaughtered!

It took them a long time but the 3 sons really did not find a solution for the problem. They then went to the wisest man of the village and told him about their problem. And he found a solution. No camel was sold, no camel was slaughtered, no camel was given away. The 17 camels were shared to the 3 sons in accordance to the traders last will. Do you have an idea what the solution was?

I think I remember most of this one.

I need to try to reconstruct it.  And then decide if I like it! 

Yes, I remember.  And each son ends up with slightly more than the will said he should get, so it gets my stamp of approval. :) 

The solution I know to the camels problem:

The wise man said: "I will borrow you one of my camels. Then we divide up and what stays left I get as a fee." The 3 sons agreed and so they did:

17 + 1 = 18
18 * 1/2 = 9
18 * 1/3 = 6
18 * 1/9 = 2
9 + 6 + 2 = 17
1 left as the fee

And they lived happily ever after, even the camels.

I suppose that is what Steph also found out.

• 2 months later...

Pretend you are standing in the center of a room.
You find yourself surrounded by strangers.
They don't speak your language.
You realize that you are totally naked.
Everyone wants to touch you.

Welcome to the life of a dog.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...