What have I got?

Shellkat

Newbie question. I know it's nearly impossible to be certain what factory produced these swirlies, but is there anyway of narrowing it down to likeliest? Is that shade of pink common? Did all the factories produce single colour on white? I suppose in terms of numbers made Champion produced the biggest volume of swirlies?

Red on white is especially hard because it was a popular combination.  (I think "yes", all or most all did single color on white.)

Some people might be able to tell from the base glass if it belongs in say the Christensen Agate column or the Alley column or the Ravenswood column.  Some people might be able to differentiate between the shades.  I don't remember if I noticed any "pink" yesterday, but maybe someone else would see that as a significant shade.

I'm not seeing Champion as a strong likelihood here because the base glass is so nice and the ribbons are so sharp.  I don't know that that 100% rules out Champ ... but it's why I'm leaning toward possibly those being a combination of Alley, Ravenswood and Christensen. 

2 hours ago, Steph said:

Red on white is especially hard because it was a popular combination.  (I think "yes", all or most all did single color on white.)

Some people might be able to tell from the base glass if it belongs in say the Christensen Agate column or the Alley column or the Ravenswood column.  Some people might be able to differentiate between the shades.  I don't remember if I noticed any "pink" yesterday, but maybe someone else would see that as a significant shade.

I'm not seeing Champion as a strong likelihood here because the base glass is so nice and the ribbons are so sharp.  I don't know that that 100% rules out Champ ... but it's why I'm leaning toward possibly those being a combination of Alley, Ravenswood and Christensen. 

Thanks - this is very useful. The ones in the front look more magenta/pink than red on my monitor, but I guess unless their are colour calibrated charts of known glass colours to directly compare against that's not that useful. So Champions tend to have less well defined ribbons?

Is there anything that rules out Heaton? 

That one on the right in front seems to be a different brighter red than the others, in person that is. : ) I thought the others might be ox blood. I have blue on blue, green on green, as well as different colors on white, like brown, orange, blue, green. I think I can see some subtle differences in the swirls to. Some are more defined with other color shades, some are really swirled.  I'm trying to study on the differences. Btw the collection comes from Pittsfield, MAINE. 

Not seeing any oxblood.

When I think of white-based Heatons, I think of a softer, more translucent -- less expensive -- looking base.  

The softest, most nearly translucent base that I see in Shell's photo is probably the front right but those ribbons are well-defined -- much sharper than I associate with Heaton.  

Heatons may have had a range --  at least one of the bags in the link posted below have fairly well-defined ribbons --  but my general feeling is that Shell's still fall outside of the Heaton range ... not to mention that Heaton was a smallish company founded in 1946 -- which is after the period that I think the main portion of Shell's collection was assembled.  

http://marbleconnection.com/topic/6790-mostly-pix-heaton