Now I'm curious about...

Shellkat

Lovely!  I should try that with my amber D.A.S.'s ... 

("Rootbeer Float" is of course a name which has been claimed for another marbles style, so the marble cops WILL come out on that.  Darn cops.)

I don't know if anyone will recognize a maker.  "Transparent swirls" ... tricky, tricky.   But maybe someone will recognize the white texture as distinct ....

2 hours ago, Steph said:

I don't know if anyone will recognize a maker.  "Transparent swirls" ... tricky, tricky.   But maybe someone will recognize the white texture as distinct ....

That's right.  Big, and I mean big, black hole of uncertainty.  But keep them.  At some point we might make progress on these.  Figuring out what things are, is where is all starts. 

1 hour ago, J_Ding said:

That's right.  Big, and I mean big, black hole of uncertainty.  But keep them.  At some point we might make progress on these.  Figuring out what things are, is where is all starts. 

Thank you so much. I'm so grateful there is someplace to talk about marbles. My friends and family think I'm nuts.

What about Vaseline glass transparent swirls? Common throughout the various makers? And I have this one that looks like a transparent popeye. Blue and white. (If that's even possible) I've been trying to photograph it. 

2 hours ago, Shellkat said:

Thank you so much. I'm so grateful there is someplace to talk about marbles. My friends and family think I'm nuts.

What about Vaseline glass transparent swirls? Common throughout the various makers? And I have this one that looks like a transparent popeye. Blue and white. (If that's even possible) I've been trying to photograph it. 

Here is That transparent one that reminds me of a Popeye without a third color. The white corks. It's weird. In a nice way.

0625161842-1-1-1-1.jpg

The clear area glows yellow?

My first thought, on texture, was Cairo Novelty.  I have some lightly glowing Cairos but the two in my small set which glow didn't have blue.

My second thought was Heaton, because that's usually my second thought if Cairo is one of the possibilities.  And I was pretty sure I had some Heatons -- I KNOW I do -- I GOTTA.  But I'm not seeing them where I expected.  So can't check that.

So then the next thought was just to wave my blacklight over all my identified swirls.  I have some bright glowing coming from my Jacksons -- and one of the glowers has blue and a clear base, but it also has off-white, not white, and it's the off-white which is lighting up.  

My Champions got depleted when half of my Champs got turned into Alleys overnight.  (They were dug at the Champ site, but the Champ site was right next to the Alley site, and they turned out to be Alleys.)   No significant glowers left in my known Champs. (Maybe one with some orange glow.)  

No significant glowers in my known Ravenswoods.  

Keep in mind I'm working with small samples.

Plenty of glow in my Alleys, but none in my samples which look closest to yours. Not that any look very close, but I do have some Alley with white and blue in clear.  Just not sure the texture is that close to yours on the white.  

1 hour ago, Shellkat said:

The blue whitish one doesn't glow.

Never mind!  LOL ... okay ... well, I still am leaning Cairo because of texture on that one. :thup: 

Might your vaseline glass one actually be a cork?  Not a swirl? 

Could be an Akro Onyx cork maybe.  

12 hours ago, Steph said:

Never mind!  LOL ... okay ... well, I still am leaning Cairo because of texture on that one. :thup: 

Might your vaseline glass one actually be a cork?  Not a swirl? 

Could be an Akro Onyx cork maybe.  

That's possible. It's missing a chunk, but it seems corky. I just like the glow! Now I have to find the white ones that looked similar to the cairo thread. What I'm finding fun is matching marbles from the old collection with the new ones I bought. (I only had to buy them because I just wanted to look at more and NONE of the friends I was SURE had some stashed away had any) I wish I had the confidence to post pictures on the mostly pictures threads. But just when I think I know what I have....well you know....haha. I just need to look at and touch more!!!! 

On June 25, 2016 at 4:36 PM, Shellkat said:

I'm so grateful there is someplace to talk about marbles. My friends and family think I'm nuts.

I would think this is a common occurrence.  My wife is very supportive...she's been known to pick jars from antique stores in my absence, with great skills I might add.    The rest of people around me seem to tolerate it, or mostly ignore it, probably to prevent me from launching into some sort of extended monologue on the virtues of un-named corks or worse, get me going on slags...in which case I just might not shut up.  I really can't blame them.  No worries on that sentiment here on the board, that's for sure. John