Your thoughts? Painted marble . . . . .

ZoidMeister

Here is the backstory: 

Reason for my visit:  Trying to downsize my worldly possessions, I was going through some tins of old foreign coins that I've had for decades (and decades).  I ran across a couple of "intriguing" marbles that I found when I was a kid.  Was looking to get more information on one of them, the other I am sure is quite pedestrian.

The one I am most interested in was found in an old pottery jug when I was a kid that I pulled out of the Mississippi river in Wisconsin during the 1965 flood.  My parents cleaned out this old moonshine jug and found a couple of marbles in it, one of them was painted.

Regrets on the quality, lighting here at work is atrocious.

Z

IMG_0553.thumb.JPG.09f2719eeb881c7f7881bcdf575f3964.JPG

IMG_0552.thumb.JPG.466421c55696ae8261cb252cf5ee13a0.JPG

IMG_0551.thumb.JPG.5ded2132375580d445ad459303e86e21.JPG

IMG_0550.thumb.JPG.1bbc2d976df835dd9b6339e57ad91f68.JPG

IMG_0549.thumb.JPG.10bc239fdd812c40c4b07b6f7741e800.JPG

IMG_0548.thumb.JPG.30865f587387369e78f0dbccd5e58de9.JPG

I've been lookin' for a painted china for years and you find one in the river. They have some value, not sure how much. Yours has some condition issues but still displays pretty nicely. You're right, the other one is, I think, an Asian cat's eye, not alot of value but not junk either. 

Bruce

5 hours ago, Berryb said:

I've been lookin' for a painted china for years and you find one in the river. They have some value, not sure how much. Yours has some condition issues but still displays pretty nicely. You're right, the other one is, I think, an Asian cat's eye, not alot of value but not junk either. 

Bruce

I'm new to the whole marble appreciation thing, however I am smitten by the collecting bug on other fronts.  If you had to guess a rough value (+/- infinity), where would you think something like this would fall, if you don't mind me being totally presumptuous . . . . . . .

You did not mention size.  If the China (made in Germany in the late 1800's) is around an inch in diameter, or more, the value is higher.  You might search Painted China Marble on eBay advanced and look for sold auctions.  That might help with a range.

24 minutes ago, Al Oregon said:

You did not mention size.  If the China (made in Germany in the late 1800's) is around an inch in diameter, or more, the value is higher.  You might search Painted China Marble on eBay advanced and look for sold auctions.  That might help with a range.

You know, I meant to do that.  The problem with eBay is that one never knows what is legit and what isn't.  Then there are sellers that are "wishful thinkers" as well.  I never know how to differentiate, so that's why I tried to search out subject matter experts in the discussion forums.

Anyway, here is confirmation of size / diameter.  It is slightly over 1.0" in diameter.

Eternal thanks for all your assistance.  Sorry for the crappy cell phone photo.  Lighting is horrible here at work.

Z

20200813_152743.thumb.jpg.d9974faa8c02ffaed1011552224200bc.jpg

I checked on the other marble board that I frequent and posted your pics - so far, one response is that it is a genuine older China and would be valued in the higher range of those types.  He "guessed" $50 to $100.  I looked on eBay "sold" category and could not find many but seem to be that price or higher.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/15/2020 at 2:29 PM, Al Oregon said:

I checked on the other marble board that I frequent and posted your pics - so far, one response is that it is a genuine older China and would be valued in the higher range of those types.  He "guessed" $50 to $100.  I looked on eBay "sold" category and could not find many but seem to be that price or higher.

I apologize it has taken me this long to get back with you.  I usually check in on my internet forums during the week while at work, and the past two weeks it feels that tasks have doubled over the previous several weeks.  When I get home in the evenings, I go off technology until my wife goes to bed, then it's just an hour or less, and truthfully, I forgot to check back in here on the Marble Connection.

So, anyway,  I am very interested in finding a new home for this marble.  I was curious what you might have heard on "the other marble board."  Heck, I didn't know another existed.  I guess it's time I polish up my Google-Fu and find it.

Z

I really don't do Facebook.  A lot of my family is there and I find the atmosphere somewhat toxic and confrontational.

Thanks much for the referral to the other site.  I'm hoping to be able to determine a fair valuation for that rose painted marble I have.

Z