Individual marbles in the same group

Chris Parson

Hi!

I wasn't sure if I should post this thread in the ID forum so I thought it would be more suitable here. If it’s in the wrong forum, please let me know.

I am currently sorting out my marbles (mostly transparent glass) according to colour and/or stripes. Right now two of he groups are much bigger than the others. The thing is that even if the marbles in each group look the same, there may be tiny differences. Not in colour or the number of stripes, but more in the size of the stripes or how they run through the marble. This is giving me a lot of confusion because I don't know how to group them properly for the ID photos. Any advice on how to break it down?

kulor.jpg

If you're seeing tiny differences within the groups of cat's eyes, then I'll say they don't matter much.  For most of the cat's eyes there you'll get a general answer of "Asian".   The ones with the clearest base glass could be "early", as in 1960's or late 50's.  

Other times what will seem like tiny differences to you -- like in the marbles that we call "swirls" or marbles from the various patch companies -- might seem like big differences to us.  

There's so much to learn about marbles.  Can't think of any good rule of thumb for learning ID's.  

21 hours ago, Steph said:

If you're seeing tiny differences within the groups of cat's eyes, then I'll say they don't matter much.  For most of the cat's eyes there you'll get a general answer of "Asian".   The ones with the clearest base glass could be "early", as in 1960's or late 50's.  

Other times what will seem like tiny differences to you -- like in the marbles that we call "swirls" or marbles from the various patch companies -- might seem like big differences to us.  

There's so much to learn about marbles.  Can't think of any good rule of thumb for learning ID's.  

Thank you for the info! I had a slight mental setback yesterday 😅 when I came to think about the magnitude of marble collecting and that most of my marbles may be "nothing" and that some may be "something". Does it make sense? Still, I love my marbles as most of them have been in the family since my mother was a child.
Mojomarblelicious is very helpful as he is sending me pictures of what to look for. Lately he has been aiming me towards clear glass marbles with single coloured fat veins. 😊 By the way, what do you call the type of marble that you'll see in the top right of the picture I posted? What I think is the general word for them here in Sweden would translate to "porcelain marbles", even though porcelain is not the material. 😊

1 hour ago, Chris Parson said:

Thank you for the info! I had a slight mental setback yesterday 😅 when I came to think about the magnitude of marble collecting and that most of my marbles may be "nothing" and that some may be "something". Does it make sense? Still, I love my marbles as most of them have been in the family since my mother was a child.
Mojomarblelicious is very helpful as he is sending me pictures of what to look for. Lately he has been aiming me towards clear glass marbles with single coloured fat veins. 😊 By the way, what do you call the type of marble that you'll see in the top right of the picture I posted? What I think is the general word for them here in Sweden would translate to "porcelain marbles", even though porcelain is not the material. 😊

We would call the top right "marbles".   No extra word.  

They're a mix of makers and ages so I can't narrow it down beyond that. 

• Like 1