help 😊

SherryFain

No.  Not a Cloudy.     Cloudy is a single-color marble.  

That site is wrong.  Somehow the big names in collecting (e.g., Alan Basinet and Bob Block) got way off track with  Master's basic style definitions.  Part of the messy evolution of figuring out the history of this little child's toy.

And then after the first few years of production, Master marbles didn't match their own style definitions.  Their marbles became less distinct and I don't think we can really figure out from the boxes they showed up in what Master would actually have called them in those later days.   Collectors mess with their own heads trying to figure out if something is a Sunburst or some other name that they picked up from the mistaken definitions on Alan's or Bob's site.    This is why I just say "Master" if it does turn out to be a Master and doesn't fit the original definitions.  

This sample case posted by Joanne Singleton is filled correctly with early Masters.   But the percentage of marble collectors who recognize a Cloudy and know its  Master name is very low. 

65zK4IM.jpg

• Like 1
  • Award 1

13 minutes ago, Steph said:

No.  Not a Cloudy.     Cloudy is a single-color marble.  

That site is wrong.  Somehow the big names in collecting (e.g., Alan Basinet and Bob Block) got way off track with  Master's basic style definitions.  Part of the messy evolution of figuring out the history of this little child's toy.

And then after the first few years of production, Master marbles didn't match their own style definitions.  Their marbles became less distinct and I don't think we can really figure out from the boxes they showed up in what Master would actually have called them in those later days.   Collectors mess with their own heads trying to figure out if something is a Sunburst or some other name that they picked up from the mistaken definitions on Alan's or Bob's site.    This is why I just say "Master" if it does turn out to be a Master and doesn't fit the original definitions.  

This sample case posted by Joanne Singleton is filled correctly with early Masters.   But the percentage of marble collectors who recognize a Cloudy and know its  Master name is very low. 

65zK4IM.jpg

You explain things so well!! Thank you :)

• Like 1