Wispy swirls in transparent glass ? ID help

Carowill

I have dozens of these wispy transparent marbles. How do you separate out the Ravenswood from Alley and are there others in the mix?  If so, what are some useful tools to differentiate.  Ravenswood often seems to have a second color in the swirls.9A789194-263E-4DC2-9665-F7D8D47B2AEC.thumb.jpeg.028d62ca0fe65928ad711eaaf004fdad.jpeg5973860D-BE39-4C3D-9DDB-AD6A42671037.thumb.jpeg.94a8a371d0b00099ba7d894576235fed.jpeg

Structure of the vortexes, including the colors of these made me think of champion

Even what you mention doesn't give me the impression of ravenswood, the only one that could be ravenswood for me, is the blue one

Try to take more photos of what you mention, in order to distinguish it better, then we hear other opinions

On the other hand, with eddies it is quite difficult ....

Thank you Ron for confirmation!  What I would love to do is learn is how to differentiate so I don’t have to bother others and reach a point to teach others! I appreciate everyone imparting their wisdom @ TMC, but my nature is wanting to know why things are the way they are.

10 hours ago, Carowill said:

Ho dei vortici trasparenti di Ravenswood che hanno vortici bianchi e marroni che provengono presumibilmente dal ritrovamento del magazzino. La mia domanda di base è cosa distingue Alley vs Champion vs Ravenswood?

Ok, your question is correct. It takes some time

You can start by looking at a fair amount of sample agate, then Ravenswood, Alley, (you'll find many in the forum) as well as Christensen agate.

You need to carefully observe them many times, until you notice differences in structure, from each other.

You will find that many Champions may resemble Ravenswood, just as some Ravenswoods may be similar to Christensen agate.  Alley's tend to be Flemish in their swills, not all of them, but many, hence they stand out from other companies.

Some Champions (opaque and translucent) were made to remember Ravenswood, with a similar structure but certainly a little different.

You will notice the differences between Ravenswood and Christensen agate, although some are impossible to distinguish (I own one still pending, seen by competent collectors) both in color and structure.

generally, the christensen agate swirl is rather short, fat and powerful (sometimes with some precautions, namely: parallel ribbons, turkey head, ram's head, tunnel, and so on) compared to all the others from other companies.

Colors also matter a lot, such as the white of cac is very shinyng, almost dazzling and many times uv, as well as the syrupy glass (gel type) always of this.

Size can also count at times.  If it is rather small 9/16 it is easier that both champion and ravenswood, if it is more generous in size, easier Ravenswood than cac, but perhaps here I am exaggerating, as a little all the companies have made various measures, some more and some less, someone correct me then .... LOL

With time I am sure that you will make a scheme of all this and with a little experience and eye everything will be easier, although (as I said above) with swills sometimes it is very difficult to identify them, if not even impossible.  (this applies to everyone, even the most experienced)

Many times, like all of us, you will have sensations for a certain marble, but NOT 100% certainty right and especially with these swilrls!

Your willingness to take the time to teach is extraordinary!  I don’t know if everyone feels the same as me but I don’t just want an ID, I want to learn and grow.  There is no substitute for experience.  However, having a doctoral degree, I appreciate having didactics to learn from.  Thanks for sharing your knowledge!!

It takes time and effort. I cannot say it enough. But it can be done, many here have done it. But for most people it will not happen in a year or two. Marble shows are one of the best places to learn all things about marbles old and new.  Always a big variety and most all people there more than willing to answer questions. You cannot ask to many questions. Ask until you understand. Don't rely on one source. Find all you can and then make decisions. You will know when you find reliable resources. The best learning tool is to have the marble in hand and someone to give you the marbles correct history. Information for marbles is ten or twenty five times better now than fifteen or twenty years ago.  It was really tough twenty years ago. SO much of what was available then was not accurate. But that was all they had, a best guess. Books is a starting place. But I have never ever found one 100% correct as of today. The internet is a very good place. But make sure the source is reliable or accurate. The best place is at a marble show, person to person. If you want it and try, you can learn a years worth from a book. in three days at a marble show.  I told that to a man near Chicago, a month ago . He came to his first show ever at Decatur IL two weeks ago. He thanked me at the end of the show and said I was correct.  He is hooked on marbles. Of course he went home with marbles and much more knowledge. If he remembers 25% of it he will be doing well. He did take pictures and notes.  It is not easy or cheap to attend a show any place. But they have many different rewards just like the marbles do.  Most people think the WV swirls can be some of, if not the most difficult to master.  I watched Ric Anthony do it fast in a couple years. But he put forth the effort.  I have helped a few others through the years. But to do a decent job marbles are needed in hand. In time the pieces will start to come together, if you give it the effort.  

• Like 1

As always, I appreciate your insight and dedication.  I know it doesn’t happen overnight but I have a passion for knowledge and I know I’ll get there.  Just frustrating sometimes because so much is not in books.  I read and reread archived material from here and AAM website.  Thanks for being such a valuable resource!