Cleaning An Akro Bag?

A couple of months ago I got lucky and found an original tin with the original inserts and bag. The bag naturally being 90 or so years old is pretty dirty, not horrible but definitely not clean whatsoever. Is there a way to safely clean it without damaging it? It being clean would also help preserve it for hopefully another 90 plus years. I’m sure it being dirty doesn’t help preserve it. 

As an aside, is there a good way to clean a nearly 100 year old tin? I’m sure it’s got loads of grime on it and would look much brighter cleaned but I don’t want to damage the color possibly by cleaning it without knowing the proper technique. 

B7A01DF4-4C43-4F02-88BF-6FEE9BA215F1.jpeg

6C5E5EAB-9624-4E9A-B03F-D5DFC772A3C4.jpeg

5D941643-EB15-4068-98FA-B9582C611A62.jpeg

02267681-D600-41F9-8F5B-604083F63CC8.jpeg

AD932B6D-8F97-4ABC-A934-34CD6A217BA1.jpeg

Your tin looks pretty nice right now. Your pouch does not look too bad either.
You can find these tins in a variety of conditions. I have bought the faded paint ones back to some nice life using this stuff. It removes no paint, leaves the images alone and puts a shine on it like—well you know.

https://www.amazon.com/Liquid-Glass-Polish-Pre-Cleaner-Bottles/dp/B09QY12PK5/ref=sr_1_9?crid=ALWUTXLFDUQ2&keywords=liquid+glass+polish&qid=1671730930&sprefix=liquid+glass+polish%2Caps%2C117&sr=8-9

Take your time and use a microfiber cloth or three. Q-tips help it in the harder areas and a nice soft artists brush is good to have on hand. Gently polish, do not use too much pressure. Start where you will not notice it first in case the recipe for this product has changed. The stuff I have is still in a tin can so you never know.

These Akro pouches can be a bugger. They were made with cowhide and buckskin and one that I came across had both. If it is buckskin, I would ask your local drycleaner. 

Marble—On!!

• Like 1