Opalescent glass?

Melissa

The opalescent "fire" (glow) may be there but I am not really seeing it in these pics. Do you see "fish eyes" (a little clear spot/window at opposite poles) on any of these?

You may want to check out the nice post Art made about Flinties not too long ago . . .

• Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, Ric said:

FWIW, lots of translucent marbles will "light up" when backlit - it's one of the cool properties of glass. But an opalescent glow is something else and the use of opalescent glass is not restricted to one company.

Good to know. Thank you!

Just now, chicagocyclist said:

Additionally there is a lot of attention being brought to UV glowing,  especially on eBay, as if it's something rare or unusual and makes the marble worth more.  It does not.  It's fun and can help with identification in some instances, but other than that....just fun!

That’s actually what got me into marbles initially. I am a uranium glass collector and noticed that some marbles at an antique shop glowed. ;)

On 2/23/2023 at 8:07 PM, Melissa said:

That’s actually what got me into marbles initially. I am a uranium glass collector and noticed that some marbles at an antique shop glowed. ;)

I have to make a kind of amendment to my comment. Well, looking at eBay, it does seem that a UV glow is being perceived as having more desirable components for a marble and is it affecting the price? It's looking like it might!!  or at least certainly it's desirability.  Works fir me.

7 hours ago, chicagocyclist said:

I have to make a kind of amendment to my comment. Well, looking at eBay, it does seem that a UV glow is being perceived as having more desirable components for a marble and is it affecting the price? It's looking like it might!!  or at least certainly it's desirability.  Works fir me.

There is sort of a uranium glass craze right now so I would believe that. 

39 minutes ago, Melissa said:

There is sort of a uranium glass craze right now so I would believe that. 

When you said that that's what caused me to look into it, so yeah, I'm right there with you.  does sure make it fun. Passing that flashlight over a bunch of marbles and have them light up like a Yellow Moon on a fall night!!

Hi yes lots of talk lately about UV mibs . And if people are stating that the UV glow in there marbles are rare when trying to sell I agree that’s wrong , but if I’m selling a mib and it does glow under UV of course I’m going to mention it .If seller A has a nice Akro cork for $10 bucks and seller B has the same colour same size  same condition Akro cork for $10 bucks but there’s glow under UV ,take a wild guess on the one that would sell 1st ,I would be buying seller B UV cork 

2 hours ago, Steph said:

Check your translucent ones for a Master-like construction.  It's _possible_ that you could have a Master Cloudy hidden in amongst the commons.  

I have a few suspects but how do I confirm?  Maybe bring them to a show?  

57 minutes ago, Melissa said:

I have a few suspects but how do I confirm?  Maybe bring them to a show?  

That would be a good plan.  

For now though, this is the particular marble which is making me wonder if you could see a Master-like structure to it.

228C9FB8-917E-4F40-A8D3-7E6140AEAD52.jpeg

• Thanks 1

p.s. many  collectors call them melon balls, not Cloudys, because somewhere along the way many collectors started using the name Cloudy for a different style marble.

Maybe knowing the name melon ball will help you search, or help you communicate with other collectors.    

And some people will call them Master opaques, even when the point is that they're not opaque. :)

Couple of pix:

https://www.peltiermarbles.info/mastermarbles?pgid=kp5rvujl-d5957e92-e666-488b-a896-ef10fa6dcbfe

Labeled sample box here:

https://marbleconnection.com/topic/6684-mostly-pix-master-made

Not the same shade as your green, but I do not know what all variety of greens there were.  Cloudys don't get ID-ed often.  

• Award 1

10 minutes ago, Steph said:

p.s. many  collectors call them melon balls, not Cloudys, because somewhere along the way many collectors started using the name Cloudy for a different style marble.

Maybe knowing the name melon ball will help you search, or help you communicate with other collectors.    

And some people will call them Master opaques, even when the point is that they're not opaque. :)

Couple of pix:

https://www.peltiermarbles.info/mastermarbles?pgid=kp5rvujl-d5957e92-e666-488b-a896-ef10fa6dcbfe

Labeled sample box here:

https://marbleconnection.com/topic/6684-mostly-pix-master-made

Not the same shade as your green, but I do not know what all variety of greens there were.  Cloudys don't get ID-ed often.  

Thank you Steph!!

34 minutes ago, Ric said:

@Melissa Although you should know that Melon Balls are actually old German handmade marbles with pontils. Here are some Bumblebee posted several years ago . . .

melonballs.jpg

That too!

And to make searches worse, once upon I time I saw one of them spelled as mellon with the other spelled as melon.  Ai yi yi.   I guess to tell them apart?   Now I can't remember if it was the German or the Master which was given the different spelling.  Maybe there was actually some other logic to it, like maybe it was a German spelling?  Anyway ... yeah, there's that.  

• Haha 1

Ambivalent seam there!  flattish, yet short

I think I would expect closer to a v-shaped on a Master Cloudy, but I sold my own Cloudys before I realized what I had.   I had a cache in a 1933 World's Fair cigar box!   And sold 'em for a song.   So I can't compare in hand.

Looking at yours now through my tear-laden eyes, I won't rule yours out as a Master, but I am uncertain. 

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Steph said:

Ambivalent seam there!  flattish, yet short

I think I would expect closer to a v-shaped on a Master Cloudy, but I sold my own Cloudys before I realized what I had.   I had a cache in a 1933 World's Fair cigar box!   And sold 'em for a song.   So I can't compare in hand.

Looking at yours now through my tear-laden eyes, I won't rule yours out as a Master, but I am uncertain. 

It’s beautiful whatever it is. I have a few like this that are keepers for sure. :)