Questions on Swirls

I have a ton of swirls to go through.  Is there anything in particular I should look for as far as what is collectible/valuable and what is not?   The majority I am seeing are white based two-color (if white counts as a color).   I also have quite a few transparent based swirls which I hear are pretty difficult to ID. 

I think I'm making progress in IDing patches, ribbons, etc., but swirls I really haven't touch on and still have A LOT to learn.  As always, I appreciate any tips/help/advice.  :)

32 minutes ago, Ric said:

More colors, busier patterns, and larger sizes, in general. Eye appeal is a good way to describe it.

Thank you.  I was actually going to ask that.  I usually first pick out the ones that seem different than the rest, the ones that have more than two colors, and then the ones that have interesting patterns.  Wasn't sure if I wasn't doing it right.  These are a lot more complicated than the patches and ribbons.  

It is a bit subjective.  For instance, a smaller marble with three colors and a less busy pattern might be more desirable than a larger marble with two colors and a busier pattern, but maybe not, rarity plays an important role too.

• Thanks 1

Lots to learn and, with the gardening season fast approaching, I may have to delay much of my swirl studies to fall.   I'm hoping to find time in the spring/summer, but things are already getting busy with chicks and seed starting.  Sadly won't be here as frequently.  :(

6 minutes ago, Melissa said:

Lots to learn and, with the gardening season fast approaching, I may have to delay much of my swirl studies to fall.   I'm hoping to find time in the spring/summer, but things are already getting busy with chicks and seed starting.  Sadly won't be here as frequently.  :(

I'm getting ready to back off here a lot too. I want to be outside working, traveling and playing when the weather gets nicer. I've got a pretty bad case of "cabin fever" at this point. But it is reassuring to know that marbles will still be around if and when I feel like "playing" with them for a while.

2 minutes ago, Ric said:

I'm getting ready to back off here a lot too. I want to be outside working, traveling and playing when the weather gets nicer. I've got a pretty bad case of "cabin fever" at this point. But it is reassuring to know that marbles will still be around if and when I feel like "playing" with them for a while.

Definitely!  I'm an outdoor gal myself.  I must say though that this new marble hobby has really occupied my winter which was awesome.  I'm normally always struggling to find things to do when it's cold out.  

18 minutes ago, Melissa said:

Definitely!  I'm an outdoor gal myself.  I must say though that this new marble hobby has really occupied my winter which was awesome.  I'm normally always struggling to find things to do when it's cold out.  

I'm lucky that I have marbles everywhere and many I have not seen in years, maybe decades. So I can find "new" ones about anytime I care to look for them. lol.

40 minutes ago, Melissa said:

Are any solid colored swirls collectible?

Some single colored marbles are, hand-gathered CAC Pastels or World's Best Moons, German Opaques, some Master Cloudys or Akro Flinties, maybe. As for other types, I like the Vitro Tomatoes or others with exceptional patterns. A lot of it just depends on what you like. Typical game marbles have little if any collectible value though, so I wouldn't expect to get any money out of them, which means you could just keep them in a jar, play with them, donate them or do crafts with them, because it's not going to "cost" you anything to keep them either. 🙂

Yes, but you should understand these are very rare marbles. You might look through several thousand opaques and never find one. And be aware that there are single and double seamed examples and some are hand-gathered.

There is a good link here to a page from Pete's old Land of Marbles that Steph found on the WayBack Machine for a little more info.

15 minutes ago, Ric said:

Yes, but you should understand these are very rare marbles. You might look through several thousand opaques and never find one. And be aware that there are single and double seamed examples and some are hand-gathered.

There is a good link here to a page from Pete's old Land of Marbles that Steph found on the WayBack Machine for a little more info.

Thank you!

11 minutes ago, Marbles_on_Mind said:

I have some like these. Not sure what they are. I figured modern.

Almost all of the West Virginia Swirl companies made game marbles. The patterns often resemble the patterns on the other non-game marbles they made, and they are not usually worth the effort to sort. Don't seize up - go through them and look for anything special, then throw them in the garden. They'll make weeding a bit more interesting. 🙂

• Like 1

• 3 months later...