Making Rolley Hole marbles this year

11 hours ago, Steph said:

Nifty.  I hope you find the tune someday!

I know exactly where it is (or was). My boss had a sealed copy of it on cassette on his desk. I just didn’t have a way to play it and he didn’t want it tore up. Some day I’ll show up with all the stuff to do it and beg. 

It’s tough business. You can scan a photo or negative with no risk. Playing a tape can destroy it. 

we always joked about learning how to play instruments and remaking songs, along with a version of “the devil went down to Georgia” but instead of a fiddle match it would be a Rolley Hole game with the prize being a solid gold marble. We never got far with it, but the joke was at the end the player would refuse the marble and say it’s no good for Rolley Hole. 

Well folks, I made it to my new park. Phone service is awful so I can’t get the photo of my last marble to post. It’s showing up but giving an error so maybe it’ll work maybe it won’t. It’s a Tennessee Square marble made from material a former manager of the park had. If he wants another marble this one is reserved for him. He told me he didn’t play marbles but he held marbles like he did, and sized them by holding them in the shooting position. Lots of folks say they don’t play but they’re tricky. I had a guy tell me that and he was making 10ft shots. 

The game has gotten more hardcore and intense. The old folks say the younger crowd make much farther distance and powerful shots than they did. The size of the marble has supposedly gotten smaller too, though I’ve measured marbles and don’t know about this. 

I’ll try to make a new thread sometime for marbels updates. In a couple weeks I’ll try to get my replacement addicted to marbles. It’s tricky business. I tell people it’s a lot like meth. You see people doing it and how their lives are affected and you say “not for me”. Then you get into it and you’re hooked like the rest. Bad example since they say if you’re into marbles hardcore you won’t be doing drugs. 

IMG_2472.jpeg

• Like 2

Congrats!  Great news.

Johnny Appleseed of Rolley Hole

p.s., you'll have to let us know some of the highlights of your new park.  I'm sure you'll love it too. 

• 1 month later...
On 5/9/2024 at 11:57 AM, Steph said:

Congrats!  Great news.

Johnny Appleseed of Rolley Hole

p.s., you'll have to let us know some of the highlights of your new park.  I'm sure you'll love it too. 

I have been at my new park since May 8th or so (kinda forgot). Compared to my last park, this place is a resort with many on site amenities like 3 restaurants, tons of boat ramps (13k acre lake), Nature Center, etc. 

Out here I have converted the abandoned pool area to the "Tims Ford Marbles Superdome" since the pool is no longer there. So far no one has attended any marbles programs including Cherokee Marbles. 

Compared to Standing Stone, it's been extremely busy. This park is better setup for interpretation (by having a Nature Center), and has a more attractive selection of activities and campgrounds that really bring the people in. Out here I have a higher-position and much more responsibility between making programs, coordinating staff, doing projects, and running camps.

It's been busy, and I still do some mild spreading of Rolley Hole. I have been loaning out the "noodling for catfish" book for the Rolley Hole chapter. Out here my main strategy is to have a selection of colorful and interesting marbles to really get the attention. Out here, the bag of white marbles just doesn't do it. 

Thanks for checking in.  

This is pretty sad.  Literally no one?  Shocking. 

Out here I have converted the abandoned pool area to the "Tims Ford Marbles Superdome" since the pool is no longer there. So far no one has attended any marbles programs including Cherokee Marbles. 

But overall, it sounds very nice.  Happy for you.