Making Rolley Hole marbles this year

Here’s some more material. I’ll have to inspect each piece but I did cut maybe 10 cubes today. I expect most to be junk, but the saw cuts fast enough that I push on. 

other material I cut looked great until I used a laser on it. Fault lines showed up in many of the cubes, and a blow from a hammer broke a few cleanly. 

Here’s some rock photos and a pile of scraps made in around an hour. Bigger pieces were from rocks that were cut in half and showed sand. 

A6878F6C-E9AF-401C-A602-897341763E4E.jpeg

D5582156-5573-447E-B653-F40BF79A02ED.jpeg

A12D2CE1-A057-402E-92A2-147A4362F31B.jpeg

A1BDC8AC-BEAE-4294-8668-E9233AF1D7F2.jpeg

5309D0D1-318A-406A-9554-90CC579E1509.jpeg

2421BDC3-1836-47AD-ABBD-95747C6F7AD6.jpeg

• Like 1

Here’s what was done today. I spent most of my marble time cutting the renaming material I had into cubes. Some of the material does have some cracks and issues but will make pretty marbles. Other material without cracks will make some amazing marbles but I don’t know how good they’ll be for Rolley Hole. 

Im no expert when it comes to material, and am working with the info given by other marble makers with more skill and local knowledge. The main thing many makers obsess on is how light passes through the material and how a high powered laser should light up good material completely regardless of color. This is due to a more fiberous and tightly packed structure needed for durability. Some of my pieces do that, some don’t. 

12F0196A-5321-4459-AD20-0B559FE2DDAE.thumb.jpeg.a784533c22034fc64e2ce4d0ba522fa6.jpeg

This “yellow” material is very interesting. I have not seen anyone playing with material that looks like this, but I was given similar material by a former park manager. This material has a lot of veins going through it and looks like limestone (it’s not lonesome). Very interesting stuff but prone to having faults. 2E838786-EC80-481D-BAE4-24371B0D695A.thumb.jpeg.268487152475a6782eab7ca45c0d05f0.jpeg

Here is a slab from the above cubes 

C5739489-EE7E-42C0-8C78-05A1DE8F0BEA.thumb.jpeg.8a628fb87dc684a265cf07fd609948c3.jpeg

Here is a stick that was later cubed. The ends are very sandy and the nodule this came from is the most unusual nodule I’d ever seen. I was told to not try cutting it up since it would be a waste, but deep in the large nodule there was some solid material. If this nodule was all good, i would have made 15-20 cubes. I got only 5 very good cubes out of it. Areas of this material had quartz deposits that looked like that children’s play foam from the early 2000s. Or like styrofoam. Good sections are a beautiful Smokey quartz. B8B48429-EC04-4913-873E-35E9688A9E45.thumb.jpeg.863264286258ad28f2e125f71e6b6404.jpeg893DE24E-3F5E-4296-8FC4-1251B77E55BA.thumb.jpeg.aa6d5d01b6526da5ac7fa295784fa7f1.jpeg

4B1A2F87-4AD5-4554-9FC9-D6D85CFEE027.thumb.jpeg.ce42d987ab7d67b2d63055b48808daca.jpeg

47740575-7F1F-4A4A-B9A1-965E7050EDFB.thumb.jpeg.9605d6f263f64583b32ccaf8fb420d88.jpeg

Finally we have the two marbles I started. My grinding has slowed due to me trying to make marbles using the original method I was taught (and forgot). One marble is cracked and from the material cut today, and the other is from the clear quartz I’ve been using for a while. The clear quartz will make a fine shooter, while the other I’m not sure on. 

I’ve talked to a lot of marble makers and everyone has an opinion on material that varies from the next guy. One maker told me cracks like this didn’t matter. Others say it means everything. I know makers who make cracked marbles and makers who toss any cubes with even the slightest issue. 

There is also the issue of fissures which from my understanding are cracks filled by mineral seepage that “seals” the crack. When you see a crack that has color in it, it is likely this. 

• Like 2
  • Award 1

7DD2D811-5E7C-40BB-BA88-B56B1EF5170D.thumb.jpeg.8efaa9fb653a7c21fae27c9e1f747933.jpeg

These started all pretty big, so they’re going to take a ton of spinning to get to a decent size. I’ve not had any marble requests so I just make them how I want them. 

The marble on the right is going to be a hard one for sure. Once that rough spot is worn down it’ll be one solid shooter. 

I restocked my toolbox with a big bunch of cubes. I didn’t count, but thinking about it I’d say there’s 15 or so marbles on the way. 

I’m starting to get in the habit of spinning marbles before work. I work evening shift and don’t have to be there until 2pm so I’ve been taking a couple hours to spin marbles instead of watching tv or something. 

if my work uniform wasn’t all black I’d be spinning marbles there too. 

• Like 4

Here’s what i got to earlier. Tomorrow I hope to finish these marbles up. 

The more colored marbles are going to be cool, but when I started on another cube of this material it was filled with hidden sand. I’ve never had a marble/cube that bad. I’d say it could still make a cool marble. 

Some point soon I might start listing some more marbles. I think at the moment I only have a couple white ones listed. If I can get a couple sold off I should be able to buy a new saw blade I’ve been looking at, then work on getting more material. 

With potential job interviews coming up, I have more chances to go to more places to look for material. In my last interview I was asked about how much time I put into Rolley Hole, and my answer was “well, right after this interview I’m meeting someone at a gas station to buy a rock saw”. Needless to say, I didn’t get that job. 

84245A0C-0A9A-4A51-85F2-7F3F819C233F.jpeg

DF8AA731-2510-4108-B68F-3AADE1E87851.jpeg

AB6C8A48-A61E-4FA1-8E35-50E356FF9AAD.jpeg

E73E56FD-457E-4DEE-94C1-E454EFFC5F52.jpeg

• Like 2

Spent most of the daylight I had today cutting corners off cubes and better shaping them up to reduce wear and tear on the diamond wheel. I’ve not really got the hang of it yet, but the pieces I cut do look like a cube that’s been ground on for a good while, so it’s better than nothing. 

I finished one marble today, and it sure is a pretty one which the camera and my indoor photography doesn’t really capture. I started out making it a shooter and have it as round as I can get it, which is tight. When spinning it in the final polish I made a critical mistake of getting it too hot. When I rinsed it off, it seems the cooling may have caused these small spider cracks in the material. Maybe they were there and weren’t visible until the surface became highly polished. Sometimes you can spin it more and get rid of these but I’ll move onto the other marbles later. 

The other marbles should be fine shooters, and the material is excellent. The material from this nodule is so good that by accident I confused one of the marbles with 3 marbles given to me by Mr. Carr, a local marble maker. It took a long time to pick out which one was mine, and I was only able to do so by examining all the marbles and finding the one (mine) which did not have any “crescent moon” impact marbles from gameplay. 

When I made marbles at Standing Stone, I usually got to play with them or have the locals smack the fire out of them, so even the fine butterscotch marbles have impact marks from when I played Georgia Rolley Hole at the tournament. Those local boys really had a time beating me to a pulp. During British marbles they were more forgiving in the sense I wasn’t much of a threat, so others were targeted. 

The red material pictured came from a piece of material from Roane County, and the piece it came from kept breaking apart due to how it was layered. It might end up a pretty marble if it doesn’t explode. Locals call this stuff “paint rock” but it doesn’t seem to be the paint rock agate found in the state. 

At my last job interview they had a nice case of geological specimens from the State and their piece of paint rock agate was reddish and rather clear. It was tumbled and didn’t appear like the best specimen since it didn’t have the wild colorations. Of course standing in front of the display case I thought “dang, that would have been a great marble”. 

552153F5-1274-4729-A960-4932AC9429CF.jpeg

E2780B72-6E35-4DFB-AB82-EB33FCD937FE.jpeg

5EC26E4E-0298-46E9-833C-A002B40C440B.jpeg

75C70117-C64F-4AA0-AFBD-543AE0D101C0.jpeg

D5E3A2DB-C059-472B-93D6-56B96B42F130.jpeg

FD910ED5-E319-4C6A-B62A-F4E82772F608.jpeg

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Caterpillar said:

Hopefully those cracks can be spun out. But I don't think they detract significantly; I'd put that one on display. Nice work, as always!

The worry I often have with these cracks is even if I can get them out, the marble will end up small. Some marbles I cracked at .82 or so I was only able to get the cracks out around the .75 area or smaller. So I may just leave it for now. 

Here’s some of todays marble adventure. I didn’t get started until a bit later in the day, but I did keep it up for a few hours. I’m already noticing wear on my new bench grinder bushings so that’s no fun, but bushings are cheap and easy to replace. 90117711-041B-4411-949D-4132F82E8824.thumb.jpeg.6a4ea397f6567f5add93fd0c3f88eeaf.jpeg

This here is a marble mill rig I set up for some quick fun. Overall it doesn’t bounce or wear smooth marbles all that well even though the grinding wheel is 60 grit, but what it does do is spin rough orbs well and gets them ready for spinning in my more valuable cups that often chip away quickly when spinning a rough marble. One of the divots I made in this wheel wore through and the marble was bouncing on the metal underneath and that happened quickly with very little pressure, so this type of setup needs to be watched. My drill press was going at around 2000 RPM and the rubber wheel is a decal eraser wheel used on cars, which is what I usually use if for. 

F857EE64-50FE-405F-8D8C-5A9692151290.thumb.jpeg.910316434836ae98c46412d9d4665aa7.jpeg

Here is a rough sphere I cut out and am now spinning. When wet it really shows some great color and it certainly a sought after material. Most cubes I have of this are very sandy so it’s hit or miss when it comes to these. Cutting the cubes down with a trim saw saved a ton of time over just leaving them as cubes. 

10E8A898-5532-4E2D-ADAF-2F547133BD9E.thumb.jpeg.6047265e500d0578e6a137334d203b94.jpeg

Note the left bottom marble. It is from the same nodule as the one above, but filled with sand. I have little hope for it, but if finished it’ll at least be pretty. Lately I’ve been making marbles from problematic material much larger. No point in wasting time making them small when they can’t be used. 

AD2D4436-0890-41C5-9DD4-FC2EB504D30B.thumb.jpeg.c07fdcf1154567e7d0097085911ca3de.jpeg

Here’s all the marbles I’m working on. The clear marble on the top right is the one that has a bad spot I’ve been wearing down. The spot is mostly gone, but the very center of it runs deep. By .78 it better be gone. 

The marble on the far left is finished. I had a lot of issues getting it completely round for some reason, and it’s not as tight of a tolerance I would like but it is in spec for the average marble. Some of us just get more hardcore with roundness. It’s off by maybe .002 or so, but I can’t remember for sure. You can’t tell by feel or looking at it. Either way it’s a fine shooter and once done I shot it a bit and it’s one I’m accurate with, so it’s in that sweet spot for me. 

What im thinking of doing is having 4 of these more clear marbles for teaching. I was originally thinking of having 4 different color ones but was also considering marking each clear marble with a colored marker to help people keep track. The place I plan to teach marbles is pavement and this clear material seems more forgiving with potential damage. 

2B4EB4C2-1D0C-4B2F-AEC4-C1A4700AF110.jpeg

• Like 1

Here’s something mildly interesting. I brought my unfinished marbles to work and was shooting them a good bit and with some force, causing the “crescent moons” to show up clearly on the more clear marble. The others had these marks visible as well. 

For the first time I really looked at these marks. Well worn marbles are covered in these marks and over time they can start to internally collapse, and eventually chip. 

What I think is happening is each “crescent” is a small fracture. You see the initial mark, and can follow a line deeper into the material. 

Since these marbles are in progress and need to be spun more, we can see how deep these marks really  are. 

The clear marble I’m not sure how much smaller I’ll make it. It’s in the sweet spot that really works well for me. 

75A11D9A-E939-4B2E-AB86-7FF83082610B.jpeg

3CAD23D2-CF47-400C-9708-974B43075C27.jpeg

• Like 2

The crescents from impact with other marbles  were well known to kids back in the day.  It was a common thing to put shooters in lard overnight to diminish the appearance of damage. 

• Like 1

Being around Rolley Hole I’ve seen some beat marbles, but when it comes to stone I’m starting to wonder more about the structure. 

Last Rolley Hole I watched a known hard-shot try to break a marble. He didn’t end up breaking it, but the force of his shots and the flash of the marbles had me really wondering. 

During Tennessee Square I did see a player break a shooter. He was pretty darn mad and said some choice words about it. I’m not sure what his marble was made of since I’ve heard some guys actually use ceramic marbles for that game. 

As far as glass marbles go, I’ve never seen impact marks, just chips and breaks. Clay marbles I bet would show more for impacts but I don’t know anyone who uses them. Lots of folks send me photos from state displays (usually archeology displays) of misshapen clay marbles, but usually they have chips. 

Somewhere here I have clay marbles I made in boyscouts. Maybe they got thrown away, but we made them in a fire using clay from the Tennessee river. Those things ended up with the finish and feel of house bricks. They might be something to try making again. 

Oops, I did mean it was the stone marbles which were soaked in lard to get a renewed appearance.     Glass marbles can get moons but no they wouldn't  survive with all the little moons which the prized stone aggies could sustain through the years.  :thup:  

• Thanks 1

Where did you hear about that from? I wish more people here talked about playing marbles as a kid. Most don’t really say much besides they did it. 
Of course the most common story is along the lines of not being allowed to play with the old men. Different people say different things about this, usually “they didn’t let me play because they knew they’d lose”.

Now days most of the marble kids don’t play until it comes time to get ready for the ringer tournament in New Jersey. Or that’s what the parents tell me. But some of them kids sure can shoot. I had a kid who was 8 doing trick shots and making a fool out of me. It gets pretty funny. There’s even kids making marbles now. 

In my 20s I’m an old man compared to the army of kids out there making marbles. Those kids know exactly what they want in a marble and they sure know how to make it happen. 

• Like 1

I've had some decent luck going through the state archives but what's always funny is that other places have much better info on Tennessee. For example I have been going through State reports from the 1930's-1970's, and a university in Illinois has all of these documents the State of Tennessee doesn't have. 

A lot of the old Rolley Hole literature I find online is written by "Robert J. Fulcher", known to us as "Bobby". When I see him I always have to talk some marbles. All we have in regards to Rolley Hole today is because of his Folklore project and interviewing Bud Garret. From what I was told, they were interviewing Bud about his music and he kep talking and singing about marbles. As Bobby said, "It seemed to be the right thing to look into". And it sure was. 

Another unfortunate thing is folklore is getting overlooked in State Parks, though people want it. They want that connection and they always light up when taken aside and given the ins and outs of Rolley Hole and any other local info. When I do job interviews my folklore stuff is pushed aside with a general "that's neat, but what else do you have". Rolley Hole is one of the last standing traditions being upheld in parks, most have lost their heritage and their history. 

Anyways, I didn't get to any marbles today, and likely won't tomorrow. Tomorrow might be a good day for looking for rocks or something though, probably in crossville. I keep hearing of the famous white flint over that way, but no one will say where it is. Most don't know for sure of course. A local man was offering to sell some nodules at a premium $75 per nodule, and we were willing to pay it too. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RolleyHoleMan said:

A lot of the old Rolley Hole literature I find online is written by "Robert J. Fulcher", known to us as "Bobby".

I noticed that, too.

Did you wind up with a nodule or two of the famous white flint?

19 hours ago, Caterpillar said:

I noticed that, too.

Did you wind up with a nodule or two of the famous white flint?

I never was able to get the flint. Unfortunately I never was able to make contact with the owner. I know he in his 80s, so I also wrote him a letter since I have his address. 

He is located in Crossville, which is where I assume he got his material. There are many facebook listings for "geodes" for sale in that area, but you must buy it by the bucket. The videos posted by the seller are of them busting these nodules open, revealing crystals which are no good, but cool. I forget the going rate, but I want to say a 10 gallon bucket is $30. 

You don't know if a rock will be any good until you cut it, and I sure don't want to buy a $30 bucket of duds. 

Anyways when looking at geology in Crossville today, all I saw was sandstone. There's good reason all the older buildings are built with crab orchard sandstone, that stuff is everywhere. 

Also, that reminds me. I was looking into making a wiki page for Rolley Hole. What quickly became apparent was that this would be nearly impossible because most sources are either from Bobby, or their sources are Bobby. Wikipedia will not allow this. Plus most of my info is from a combination of interviews with people (by me) and Bobby, so I'm no good for making a source acceptable from an academic standpoint. 

Best I can do is just keep on talking about marbles. 

7 hours ago, RolleyHoleMan said:

I was looking into making a wiki page for Rolley Hole.

With as much traffic as Wikipedia sees, that could be a great idea, especially if it becomes a featured article. But you are correct in that it would entail a fair bit of work. I found one potentially good source, which I'll share here or PM you if you'd like.

15 hours ago, Caterpillar said:

With as much traffic as Wikipedia sees, that could be a great idea, especially if it becomes a featured article. But you are correct in that it would entail a fair bit of work. I found one potentially good source, which I'll share here or PM you if you'd like.

I’m glad to look at any source of info out there. Unfortunately I’ve spent so much time digging it sometimes feels like there isn’t anything new out there. 

The main thing I’ve been looking for is any documentation on marble making rigs. Everyone talks about Bud Garrets marble machine but no one knows where it is or how it works. The strong brothers also had some type of semi-automated machine that no one knows about. 

Seems there’s little documentation on things like that. I’ve seen some dangerous saws but that’s about it. 

As I general update, I did make another sphere today but forgot to take photos of the process. The sphere I made is the last piece of material from Powell who cut a small piece for me. I got two cubes and he got two. The cube is a dark butterscotch type color but the last marble I made from it  ended up much lighter. 

Those guys always cut cubes pretty small too which in my hands is dangerous. One false move and a marble goes from a nice .80 to .75 or smaller. 

7 hours ago, Caterpillar said:

Probably this article won't have much new, but it does at least have a nice photo of some Rolley Hole marbles.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/rolley-hole-marbles-championship

I actually have met Maggie (who wrote this) and I have her card. I was at Cummins Falls one day when a buddy of mine was doing a program on knot tying. I was screwing around trying to tie knots (I’m an Eagle Scout, I should know these things), and I made some comment about how I can’t help tie knots but I can talk about marbles. It was a joke of course. Maggie was in attendance and we started talking about Rolley Hole and a card game played at Forbes general store called “Pig”. Forbes is right up against Alvin C. York State Park, so it has that reputation Standing Stone has with Rolley Hole. 

Very nice lady by the way. It’s nice finding people who have the talent and abilities to report and post about this kind of stuff. It’s hard to find anyone who really wants to get into the history and lore of Rolley Hole. 

One major thing with festival coverage is it usually looks at the festival as a whole. These types of things mostly cover the bands playing, food, locals out enjoying it, etc, then it sidelines the actual game of Rolley Hole. So it leave the age old question of “what is Rolley Hole” mostly unanswered. 

This is why we want more people who know the game to walk around and really talk to people. Bobby Fulcher came up to my sister and her friends and started talking about Rolley Hole. I’ve talked about it a lot with my sister but she said “that man made marbles so precious and special”. 

There’s a lot more to it I suppose. One of the hardest things is getting every group and demographic interested in it. The older folks are more into the folklore and gameplay. With younger folks they aren’t all that into it unless you give some funny stories about guys getting hit in the head with a brick or meeting the Queen of England. 

Anyways, here’s the marbles I’ve been working on. I didn’t take a lot of time spinning them since I’m working on making more rough spheres while deciding if it’s time for a new Diamond wheel. I’m also still considering a saw blade as well while also working more on shaping cubes to be more easily shaped. 

The bottom marble is the jewel of the lot, while the top one has major faults that likely won’t be salvageable. I might just polish the top one and list it if I get around to listing marbles. I’ve been hesitant to list any more since I’ve got quite the display going with all the varieties and colors. I’ve even taken the scrap stone slabs and clear coated them (since I don’t have the tools to polish them) so people can see what material makes what marble. 

Edit: the large right marble is the problem marble. 

115B3C45-457D-44C6-8524-CFE3912C4FD3.jpeg

0A077342-6597-4E89-91FD-4C237A0BF5A3.jpeg

• Like 1