Making Rolley Hole marbles this year

Finally got around to some marbles again. It’s been a pain to get some of these decent but today I made one of the finest playing marbles I’ve seen. It was hard to decide on a finish and I may actually rough this one up a little bit since I’ve been playing with a rougher marble. The finish on it is 400 grit. 

This darker material came from a very small nodule one of the marble makers cut for me. He got two cubes and I got two. Since I was using a tile saw at the time I was surprised that he got that many out of it. With a tile saw I would have probably only gotten 2 cubes from it. 

As for the other 3 marbles, the cracked one I just went ahead and polished up. Pretty cool looking marble but it wasn’t worth more time. The other 2 are from the same nodule and I’m still working on. They are at .80 and .81, so very close depending on the size I go for. 

A difficulty with this material is finish. A rough marble is kinda a tan color I’d say. Polished they will look beautiful, but not wanted by most for playing. This is where white material is an advantage because you can leave it rough or polish it, but either way it’s white and doesn’t show much. 

Plus no one has marbles like this. Is there a reason? No idea. It seems like good material. Since I’m not s good marble player there’s no way for me to test it. 

At work I shoot marbles some. Playing on carpet doesn’t work all that great, same with tile and vinyl floor. You can shoot a very hard shot and your marble bounces over the target. Any spin on the marble also grips the carpet more than a dirt yard. So really smacking a marble the way you need to is pretty tricky. 

Also I did weigh marbles with a junky scale. A .78 marble is 10 grams and a .80 is 12. Not sure how much that means when it comes to play. One of the kids was playing with a marble that was stone, but felt like a steel ball. Wish I could have weighed it. 

F6C26E34-F5DE-42F7-921A-CD7D98040C47.jpeg

9BCB6993-3777-439D-919B-D07A01CCCEE6.jpeg

D3FB70BB-E48D-4F3F-98DF-5B1D2D31A513.jpeg

74F23773-255C-4012-8C45-349093012014.jpeg

E44F1026-E6FF-40A0-A5CB-0B50AE701172.jpeg

• Like 2

Today I had a job interview for a full time position at a park im already slated to work at. I got told I didn’t get it already, however I did get to poke around the park and the staff is pretty great. 

So for the interview I drove nearly 300 miles total today, since Tennessee is one massively long state. The whole time I was looking for marble materials where I could. 

I haven’t gotten to cut anything yet, but so far it seems the area isn’t the best. Finding any material that was dense was very difficult. I got a tiny nodule that seems more like a geode, and some black chert to cut on tomorrow. Nothing too exciting, but I’m curious about the black material I found. 

The area had a good amount of reddish material that seems close to the fabled hard to find material Bud Garret made some famous (and expensive for the time) marbles. There’s a story he sold these red marbles in the 1930s for $35, which is the equivalent of $300 or so today. 

My main reason for mentioning it at all is how materials back then before the internet made a marble more valuable. Now days you can order just about anything out there. If you wanted to, you could order all sorts of agate and whatnot off the internet for a decent price and make what would have once been considered a legendary marble. 

One marble I’ve made in the past, that I screwed up, was a tiny pink marble that is similar to one Bud had made and sold to a local. When finding the piece in a stream, it was blood red. Of course my poor technique quickly took a decent but small piece and made it tiny, but it does have me wondering about a lot of the geology. 

11 hours ago, RolleyHoleMan said:

My main reason for mentioning it at all is how materials back then before the internet made a marble more valuable. Now days you can order just about anything out there. If you wanted to, you could order all sorts of agate and whatnot off the internet for a decent price and make what would have once been considered a legendary marble. 

More good insight

Here’s some photos of the material from the Tims Ford area. Most of this material came from a sketchy little pull off in the area that was filled with poached deer carcasses. It was one nasty place. 

Anyways, the blade on my saw was defeated by this black piece. Whatever it is, it’s pretty cool. I kinda messed up my first cuts and made a slab too small for marbles, then the blade quit cutting due to the last bits of meat flying off in a blast of shrapnel. 

The photos don’t do the material justice. It’s a black chalcedony with bits of fossils in it. Super cool stuff and it seems to not be all fractured up. It does have some crystal pits but if this area has a lot of this stuff, it might be fun to bring the saw. 

The other piece is a nodule, though it’s microcrystalline and my last cut was too small. Not sure why so many mistakes were made today. If it makes a marble, it’ll be tiny.

Plans now are to put a spare cheap blade on the saw and try to cut some material that may or may not be good. This way there’s no wasting a new blade on junk.

C2FE2CED-1F04-47A5-8E4E-7F176027235B.jpeg

09288156-BFF8-423A-A444-768F5A4048D6.jpeg

A0C600A8-4841-42BA-BEA2-20E5E2CF9AAA.jpeg

7A484D76-1136-4357-9BFA-B9D415C1C7E2.jpeg

BE16449F-FA71-4E7B-AC51-FA1907CF0303.jpeg

17B1241F-9387-48FC-8F69-B4BD61A66246.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Award 1

08E10A61-BCAD-4385-8ABF-702391DE44D7.thumb.jpeg.52a35dd9d81b084970236b839cadcc7e.jpeg

After an hour or so of work, I was able to remove the old blade and fit a new one. This saw was filled with a lot of junk and what seemed to be the remnants of a disintegrated blade, which is why many will harp on the importance of using proper cooling fluid with anti-rust properties. I believe mineral spirits is one of the more common fluids to use, though I have also heard of people using vehicle antifreeze, diesel fuel, kerosene, etc. it’s one of those things people like to argue about on the internet. 

I’m not big on spending money on these things, so I just keep with water. When I get a 10” blade I’ll clean the saw really good and go from there. I did measure and make sure this saw is indeed a 10” saw, since the internet has limited info on this old thing. 

When it comes time to stop with cutting, as long as everything is dried out there shouldn’t be any issues. 

• Like 1
  • Award 1

Turns out the blade I was trying to fit onto this saw was too worn out to be much good, and it was too thin to stay properly fitted to the saw. When cutting a rock, it started to slip before freely spinning on the arbor. 

I ordered a Dewalt 10” blade from eBay. I did a lot of research and decided to try this blade for $42.00. A big chunk of change, so I should list some marbles. 

Anyways, I took a little time today to finish this marble, and it’s a fine one for sure. I opted to not polish it too much, stopping at I think 600 grit. My polishing pads need to be made into cups using PVC pipe ends and epoxy, since the marbles no longer fit in the center hole of these pads. The plan is to polish the other marbles from this nodule to see how they turn out. 

What’s funny is I had originally listed this nodule on eBay since it seems people have great success selling them, and I had no takers. Getting annoyed with it I cut it up and it ended up making some pretty cool marbles. 

seems I didn’t take a photo of the marble without the laser, but might as well post anyways after typing it all out. I’ll post a photo with other finished marbles from this nodule sometime soon hopefully. 

8DB54039-6C62-4569-BA41-A588A1E83E14.jpeg

F63BFD99-18C9-4B4A-8818-FE4D55D00AEA.jpeg

145ED75B-6FCE-46F5-AE0D-64839CB02E9D.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

Here’s some marble photos. Sometime I need to take some in better lighting outside, though sometimes I carry marbles in my pocket and suddenly remember to take some photos. 

It’s a fine marble for sure, measuring at .795. It’s one of those marbles that’ll need to be played with. 

When it’s time to head off to state training I’m going to organize some marbles for play by size and see if I get folks playing with a marble that suits them. 

One thing that’s common is the ladies say they can’t really play and show me their small hands. Granted I’ve got some big ole hands and they mention that when I’m holding marbles. 

Some of the best shots are women is what I always tell them. You ever been beat to a pulp by a 12 year old girl who no only doesn’t miss, but smacks the everliving daylights out of your marble? Hop on in and see what can be done. 

Anyways the saw blade is coming in hopefully tomorrow or Saturday, but with storms approaching there may not be any time place for cutting. Moving this saw around can be a bit wild since it weighs around 70lbs. The motor is a big bulk of that which is why I remove the motor on a similar dry-saw to help place it. 

D8846EBB-512C-43D8-84C4-10A08B642DBC.jpeg

E4FE3CFC-EF2A-40D9-8F60-D47DDB81165F.jpeg

CDB1D329-C306-4E1A-9418-8BFC4874919E.jpeg

FB435E8B-1F91-4743-8AFE-BA2655495395.jpeg

D89030AE-0615-4F74-ADB1-ABBC9D0246C4.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Award 1

Today was a general day of marble adventure. I didn’t make any marbles, but since the 10” blade came I had to give it a go. So far it cuts pretty good though it needs a lot of dressing. With every piece it needs some pieces of brick run through it to keep on going. Despite that, it cut up some darn good pieces. F4802C85-3B53-4204-B5E2-3C72C3BAF1BD.thumb.jpeg.ffec25e3ba100c5c56c775ee7570b619.jpeg20B8AEF6-0BF9-4F0A-ACE0-6F8EC31505E8.thumb.jpeg.717d676b10541a38ee6968bd15e99cba.jpeg0E5A34AB-9F71-4949-BC02-6A401D3E9CB3.thumb.jpeg.37ba33f468de831123176977dd22fab0.jpeg

The best part of finding Tennessee Agate is not having any clue at all where it came from! I’ve been wracking my brain trying to remember, and all my thinking has me thinking this may have come from the Emory River in Kingston. If I knew where it came from I would sure be down there looking. 

When going through my scrap bucket, I grabbed a rock deemed as “no good” and cut it in half. Boy was that a surprise. Hopefully it makes a good marble though a lot of the nodule wasn’t all that great. I cut a few slabs as thin as I could get them so they can be clear coated for display. Man it’ll make a cool marble, though it only produced 2 cubes. One slab has some crystal pits which I’ve seen people make marbles from, though with the gaps I’m not sure how to go about doing it. 

E4FCB262-CBA8-431B-BB28-FB58DDF4F975.thumb.jpeg.0b6cfde7f06832d0cc8e61ea385b1577.jpeg

This black material may be what they call an “agateized fossil”. It appears to be chalcedony and light does kinda pass through it, though I haven’t used the laser on it. This material came from the Tim’s Ford area outside the park at a sketchy place people were dumping poached deer. Super sketchy place with signature Tennessee trash (carcasses, beer cans, and drug paraphernalia). 

I got some good cubes though one piece of this black material was filled with fractures while the other didn’t seem to be, so the material may be fragile. With how my Diamond wheel is dead, there might be more ripping and tearing than grinding. 

Beyond that, having this blade means I should look for more rocks. I did look in the crab orchard area though to no surprise it was all sandstone. With all the traveling around the state there should hopefully be more chances to check out some rocks. 

5665FDB4-5E96-49CF-9EC6-3FEB9C6D5584.jpeg

2ADB18F9-A6D5-4A70-98EA-4A58BD220632.jpeg

45969A8A-9229-48E4-AE70-4910DDFCF6ED.jpeg

• Like 1

Got to make some rough spheres today. From what I can tell, the black material is probably actually Jasper since light only passes (poorly) through the tiniest chips and slivers of the material. I tossed a bunch of scraps into stage 1 of the rock tumbler at 60/90 grit and will have to check them next week. 

Jasper is the proper hardness, or so that’s what my googling says. It’s kinda odd though because I have found similar material with fossils that was blue but very soft. This stuff does seem to be very hard and well structured. So that’s a plus. 

When this material is wet (it’s hard to see in the photos), it has blue streaks in it. So far it has held up to spinning which sometimes causes material to explode. 

Also included are some photos of slabs I cut and sprayed with clear coat. This isn’t the proper way, but without a flat lapping machine or any other polishing equipment this is the best that can be done. The very colorful material is the material from roane county I have tried to make marbles from in the past, but it always breaks apart. This example seems more solid and better structured while still having cracks, so it’ll be a tough one to try. The nice thing though is with these pretty marbles, there’s no worry on size and roundness. Just get it into a sphere and round to the eye and it’s good enough, then polish it. 

0B525A3E-1AAB-4B35-BE90-8A79DAD66EFE.jpeg

87EDB583-663B-464D-83B7-4EB5CB120A2C.jpeg

0AF7412A-5BB1-4C3A-9A3E-B86A019978C8.jpeg

CA238A16-D8F6-40AD-9003-44D50A64BB26.jpeg

FC1D60A1-C05A-4A98-BF32-7C656B9718A0.jpeg

858AAFA7-494C-4D7E-B857-15D4260989AA.jpeg

03D2C708-ACDD-4FBD-BF06-D48EAF28A97C.jpeg

0D18D123-59C9-4405-8337-5F87B27295C7.jpeg

• Like 3

I’ve gotten some rock help from the rock tumbling forum. It is thought that the yellow cube and piece with a large crystal pit are calf killer agate, which is odd because it came a long ways off. Sure wish I knew where it came from. 

One of the locals told me to turn on the GPS photo option on the iPhone and take a photo of every rock, that way you can track where it came from. Plus write on each rock with a sharpie. Should have done that but usually I pop in somewhere before work, grab some rocks, and forget them in my car for a while. 

One time I wondered why my ancient station wagon was sagging a bit in the rear, and it was full of rocks. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Here’s all the marbles in progress. The white marbles are proving to be a challenge since my grinding wheel keeps ripping pieces off them, which doesn’t happen with the black marbles. I did a lot of grinding on these and have gotten them pretty round and hopefully can start really spinning them soon. 

FD04A17C-58A3-4928-8151-3BBC9B2BC4EA.jpeg

• Like 2

Did some rock hunting before work today along the Tennessee River. I decided to head up to the Ozone falls area and Mt. Washington to look at the geology and views. Ozone falls is all sandstone (but not crab orchard sandstone). 

This will help show why the geology here is so tricky. In the photos I’m up on the Cumberland plateau (Walden’s ridge) looking down over the Tennessee Valley. Way off in the distance you can see the Smokey Mountains. Water-wise you can see the Emory, Clinch, and Tennessee rivers while off to the right you can seen the Watts Bar reservoir. 

Lots and lots of geology to cover. I found some very weird things today and cutting them is the only way to know if they’re any good. 

5ADAE9FA-C3CC-431C-8CD8-817DA98EFBC5.jpeg

E64AC2FA-FBFC-4633-9B80-B4A72A62C9FB.jpeg

05E55791-3BC1-4471-94B8-755B8EF84059.jpeg

552566FF-5581-46F5-91BA-76C1F639A44A.jpeg

F614531D-1F38-4B68-8D9D-DEF7982A164C.jpeg

2D5A98B6-EF86-41E8-8D6A-1BAEBF412F84.jpeg

C91FEC4E-D6B3-4D54-A70D-006CE0CF006F.jpeg

9750C407-F4AF-4C37-9C56-05FE92780122.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

The pieces I got today had some heft to them so I’m hopeful, though most pieces around here are so fractured that failure is to be expected. What’s interesting is the location I found todays material is actually a stream that runs into the lake. Based on all the rocks and pieces of glassware I found, it seems this stream flowed through the area before the river was raised up. 

I did find some odd smaller rocks which are interesting. I need to post them tomorrow when cutting material. One of the pieces was a pinkish red piece of quartz which might make a marble, and the other was a tiny piece of green chert which is really odd. Knowing the area, these may have been dumped. Around the area there were plenty of bricks, China, military jeep looking tires, and art deco shaped pieces of metal. The area was known as a resort area back in the day so there’s lot of remants of the times when this area really prospered. 

In the late 1920s there were some catastrophic floods that wiped out a lot of industry, so it’s common to also find the remains of that. This area made everything from laboratory glassware to golf club handles, so sometimes you can find pieces of that. At one time there was a bounty on returning this stuff, though that ended in the 1930s. So there’s some fun history for you all. 

Since this is a marble forum, I’ll share some fun old marble lore. The old story goes that when dredging on the Tennessee River they found tons of clay marbles and then sold then at various tourist spots. People often show me these Clay marbles and I have a few from when I was a kid. It’s not a true story, but the old timers still talk about the Tennessee marbles. Actual civil war marbles are found sometimes though not often. Most “dug” marbles end up being something some poor kid lost in the 50s. 

• Award 1

Did some rock cutting today. Nothing turned out to be useable but now there’s a new thing to look out for when looking for nodules. The main nodule I was excited about is very very dense, or it seemed to be. I’m not sure what on earth it is, but it’s actually a very soft material with what appears to be pieces of metal in it. The saw cut through it very quickly which was a red flag. 

I also cut a small piece of pink material which broke at the last second. So for now there’s no new promising pieces of material. It got too dark to trim cubes so the saw is drained and prepped to prevent the blade from rusting. 

Also I cut a nodule from the family farm out of curiosity. Very colorful but again, no good for anything. It’s too fragile to slab without it breaking apart. I may start donating these to the school I work at since there’s nothing I can do with them. 

9A31F34A-AEC8-42FF-82F7-E28F0E657AB7.jpeg

59A901AB-1E68-4776-858F-2A0D3C716449.jpeg

A13B380A-4EEA-44D8-8678-82AF3E3AB37F.jpeg

B807F000-5C95-4A2F-843B-81FE0ECBDF09.jpeg

0C618727-7519-41E7-BF78-DDA95F4F96DD.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

The pink is pretty at least. 

The metal-mingled chunk is still pretty cool.  It had my mind soaring with thoughts of meteorites until I noticed I had not yet read the post from Thursday night and realized that it's likely industrial.  Though wouldn't it be awesome if it turned out to be natural .... 

14 hours ago, Steph said:

The pink is pretty at least. 

The metal-mingled chunk is still pretty cool.  It had my mind soaring with thoughts of meteorites until I noticed I had not yet read the post from Thursday night and realized that it's likely industrial.  Though wouldn't it be awesome if it turned out to be natural .... 

I’m going to post it on a rock forum and report back about what it is. The lakebed had a ton of them laying around but it’s best to just grab one and go from there. 

• Like 1

The mystery rock is slag according to some rock hounds on the internet. 

Didn’t get around to making any marbles today. If I did my counting correctly I have made 88 marbles. Still a long way from the goal of 100 marbles by May. I may not hit that goal since my motivation is a bit down, plus other projects. Seems I’m just making marbles to sit in a case or carry in my pocket while not teaching marbles or marble making. 

• Care 1

Managed to mess with some marbles this morning. I finished one of the “black” marbles which is chert with fossils in it, and finished a good .785 (or so, I forget) shooter from the Overton county material I had. There’s still a few marbles to finish from that material, and still a black one to finish up. After these are done it’ll be time to look at the cubes and think of what should be tried next. I have probably 30 or 40 cubes though I haven’t counted. When moving stuff around in the garage there were some nice cubes on the floor that must have fallen off the cart, which happens a bit due to vibrations. 

Next on the agenda I’d like to at least make some marbles from the material I called “Tennessee Agate” though some folks online think it’s still a type of chert. Whatever it is it’ll look pretty cool if it’ll polish. Some materials like the black chert polish super glassy even at 600 grit, while others aren’t even close to that finish at 3000 or 6000 (the final). Some material may need more spinning in the lower stages or the structure of the material itself could be no good for polishing. 9877DF97-9CA3-4D45-B61D-A5051F6303F5.thumb.jpeg.468872f2efd35091a4ea26540f28385c.jpegF5D3F11E-ECC7-473C-926E-0B5F5CB863DF.thumb.jpeg.a1f4b77e1bd3850c0c8295c27f2115ba.jpeg

Note how the black marble is more of a blueish black. Really cool stuff though the fossils aren’t as prominent as expected. The fossils are usually crinoids though in the area there were some clam fossils. All fossils I’ve seen are sea critters, and are common as dirt. Usually they are bits and pieces not embedded in anything. 

A lot of locals swear the colorful stuff here is petrified wood, though nothing has ever looked like petrified wood I’ve seen. Some of the guys make some expensive marbles from stuff like that found out west. The prices are always insane but we do that with marbles we like. Some of the marbles I need to list will be higher since it don’t bother me a bit to keep them. 

As the old saying regarding junk goes, “I don’t have to feed it” so it can stay around since it’s costing nothing. 

8A8A063C-008D-41DC-B447-C5439D318EF0.jpeg

664B3569-4B5A-4CE4-BF96-B232D8B3C045.jpeg

02520769-9A54-4036-AA47-B0BD26429BDC.jpeg

9E5CD6C8-B213-4F25-A78C-A543978F44FB.jpeg

• Like 3

Finished black marble #2. It has a section that has some sort of deposit, but overall it’s a very pretty marble. There’s 3 cubes left of this stuff for a total of 68 cubes and pieces of various quality from poor to excellent (I actually counted this time). 

Here’s some photos of all the marbles in the case. In my pocket I carry 10 additional marbles which aren’t pictured, though there’s not much to see. I carry mostly clear marbles, 1 butterscotch, and 1 creamy color that (the material) came from a ranger who was at Standing Stone for I think 40 years. If I’m not mistaken he was there from 1973-2013 but I may be wrong. 

He was the individual who said all the marbles I made were too small, so I made him a big .90 marble for Tennessee Square. 

Anyways there’s still a couple spheres to shape up, though both have been challenging since when grinding they lose big chunks, with one having crystal pits. 

C59608EE-119C-446A-8F4C-19017B9F052D.jpeg

6BD6035B-C9C5-45A2-8B08-FAA6E5115DAA.jpeg

14DFE55C-0EFD-481C-8F98-DE3F86452E2A.jpeg

F1255502-15F8-4D3A-B2D6-06911D8A84CA.jpeg

83B0E09F-3FBD-4593-9642-85E56D6E0440.jpeg

04052FB9-5165-475B-8E34-1EE58D362CF3.jpeg

E520511E-A184-4784-A8C5-14E0941432F6.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Wow 2

1 hour ago, Caterpillar said:

The black marbles turned out nice! And sidetracking briefly...do I see a tobacco can in the last photo?

Good eye. That is one of my prized possessions in regards to Rolley Hole. 

Mr. Malcolm Strong who was a famous marble maker and Tennessee Square player (brother of Junior Strong the famous Rolley Hole Player), was who gave me that tin. 

When I first met him, he was sitting in the rec hall smoking a pipe. I talked to him and he gave me this tin talking about how the “old timers” kept matches in them. Later in the day I found a pocket knife he was using and returned it to him after a long hunt (at the time, he moved fast and seemed to teleport around the grounds). 

I used the tin to carry my marbles for over a year until he passed away. All my state-issued green pants have a hole in a particular pocket from carrying this tin, and I carried it with me all over the state and parks I worked at. Having that tin and marbles on me even got many people to come to Rolley Hole. 

That’s why it’s in my marble case. I don’t carry it anymore since I don’t want to lose it.

What’s unusual about it is it was once a full length can, and Malcolm cut it down to the current size and reinstalled the metal bottom which presses in. Sometimes this would pop out with too many marbles. 

Malcolm always carried around a 14oz plastic tub/container of Prince Albert, which I also smoke. In the background of some of my photos there will sometimes be red plastic tubs which are the modern Prince Albert tubs. When traveling around I keep example cubes and marbles in them. 

• Like 1