On The Matter Of Copyrights

Steph

Lou,

I happened onto the board rules. I'm having a bit of trouble understanding the spirit of the paragraphs regarding copyright.

FAIR USE NOTICE: Copyrighted material used on MarbleConnection.com may not have been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. Such material is made available on a non-profit basis for educational and discussion purposes only. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in 17 USC ยง 107. For more information go to:
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.

You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this bulletin board.

The first two paragraphs appear to be carefully written and in keeping with the spirit of copyright law throughout the U.S.

The last paragraph is extremely limiting and pretty much says that the first two paragraphs are irrelevant. It appears to be saying that even if board members' selection of copyrighted material is consistent with fair use, and even if special permission has been sought in special circumstances, the board members may not post the material because neither they nor the board itself holds the copyright.

What say you?

Steph

• 3 years later...

You should give credit to the sources of the photos. You don't usually need permission.

I guess there are always exceptions. But sounds like you're talking about the sort of thing people do fairly casually without anyone getting upset.