From The Akro Vault....

Alan

I had two, 1" Akro oxbloods in my collection for a number of years. The big ones with Sky Blue, clear matrix and often bright yellow under the oxblood. I used to handle a lot of Akro coming out of the Akro plant site digs 8+ years ago and these were from that material. I think a similar one was involved in the auction fracas early this year - they look like:

IMG_5182.jpg

Did you ever get that odd feeling like you had more of a marble type.... not certain but that little nagging feeling?

I have a considerable store of material that I literally haven't looked into in 7 or more years... salted away in a security cabinet. Just a stack of cases that haven't seen daylight in almost a decade.

So last night I decide to open that dusty crypt (sound of creaking door slowly opening and of flapping bat wings......) and look at one of 14-15 cases inside.

Its interesting what you can forget that you own.... :blink:

Akro1inchOxbloods.jpg

IMG_5180.jpg

Akro1inchOxbloodsa.jpg

Now I recall a buying transaction of some phenomenal oxbloods (including some flourescent transparent oxbloods). These were among them. I've never seen them as a Akro production piece at this size and surmise that they were a test run that was discarded for whatever reason. Most have a bright yellow reverse behind the oxblood - most having a generous amount of light Powder Blue with the clear matrix. In some cases (a minority of my 15) the yellow surfaces and has some very nice detail lines in the yellow.

I'm interested in a rough population count of these in the ~1" size. If anyone has any thoughts in that regard - I'd enjoy hearing from you in the thread or privately.

Thanks,

Alan

HI ALAN BLUEROCK. THOSE MARBLES ARE SIMPLY BEAUTIFULL AND YOUR PICS ARE

GREAT TO. I WISH I COULD TAKE PICS LIKE THAT. I ALSO HAVE ABOUT 25 OF THE BIG

OXBLOODS. THEY WERE ALL DUG AND I BOUGHT MOST FROM WILLEYS MARBLES AND

THE MARBLEMEN FROM CLARKSBURG. THESE ARE MY FAVORITES AND I WISH I COULD

GET MORE BUT WHEN THEY COME UP ON EBAY SELL QUITE HIGH. AGAIN CONGRATES

ON YOUR WONDERFULL AKRO OXBLOODS. JIM.

dang toots, ya don't remember the ones in our case in the living room? LOL. ya think maybeeeeeeee ya mighta seen some somewhere else?? heeheeheee..

seriously, we have seen a few in collections that were found in the wild. hubby thinks they were out there, but nothing in any great volumes. and a couple we aquired were not dug. prehaps a limited production line? but we still think the majority out there were probably dug.

and what else ya hidin??? :ph34r: come on, lets see....