Codd Bottles ... Again :-)

Steph

For a long time I couldn't find any pix of Codd bottles. I recently found one, showed it to Felicia, and she showed me about a billion more. (Well, okay a few dozen.) At the UK version of eBay. Thanks Felicia! You opened the floodgates! LOL! Now they're cropping up all over the place.

Well eneeway, for fun and for the record and for bottle noobs like me who might come after, here are a couple of pix for reference from eBay. Same bottle. One pic from the front, one from the side. I think the side shot is cool.

post-279-1193253894_thumb.jpgpost-279-1193253902_thumb.jpg

And here's a Codd bottle opener, in case you don't want to pop the marble down with your thumb. (That might get you spritzed.)

post-279-1193254034_thumb.jpgpost-279-1193254045_thumb.jpg

LOL @ floodgates. I thought it was interesting too and I figured since my UK friend had mentioned it, why not look at ebay UK. So glad to see you are enjoying the various bottles and such...not sure how many still have marbles in them that they are selling but I did see a few.

:-) Felicia

...not sure how many still have marbles in them that they are selling but I did see a few.

I noticed some marble-less bottles listed as Codd bottles on the UK ebay. I was a little curious about them -- not sure why they were called Codd bottles. Guess it might be a generic term for bottles from the 1800's?

If any of the bottles don't now have a marble in them, I think odds are they never did. Pretty sure the only way to get the marble out would be to break it into pieces first, and if you broke the marble into pieces, chances are good you'd hurt the bottle too. (I'd think.)

If you have any Asian food stores in your area, there is a soda-type product from Japan that still uses the Codd bottle style seal. But, it's a plastic bottle... In New England, they sell it at Newbury Comics.

I have one kickin' around here, somewhere... If I find it, I'll try to get a picture.

There is a story that the "Codd" bottles without marbles were an early version of a condiment jar and originally contained salt water and anchovies. When you wanted anchovies on your pizza you just turned the bottle upside down (like a ketchup bottle) and poured yourself a few. This type apparently came without marbles as it was felt that the marbles would bruise the fish.

Roger

We found the new one... My son peeled the label off of it a long time ago, so if it did have any English on it (I don't think it did) I still don't have a way to get a name.... I'm sure I'll be going into Newbury Comics before long.... I could have sworn it was plastic... But, this one is glass.

post-3-1193341064_thumb.jpgpost-3-1193341073_thumb.jpg

post-3-1193341088_thumb.jpgpost-3-1193341053_thumb.jpg

the modern ramune bottles are plastic. They have recently begun showing up in different flavors. The original drink is a very pleasant cider flavor, sort of like sprite. they are typically sold in buddhist and shinto shrines all over Japan. Sometimes at flea Markets I can pick up some that are older and they are made of the same sort of heavy glass that codd bottles are made of. They have a little different design. The marbles are invariably the uninteresting transparent glass clearie type.

Steve