Uk Marble Tournament

MrsMopar

I was googling stuff and found this. Thought it was nifty, looks to be rather historical there too. (Might be a good place for Chris to find other marblers too)

http://www.whatsonwhen.com/sisp/index.htm?...;event_id=87092

:-) Felicia

Found this for German marble games:

http://www.schwarzmurmler.de/english/englindex.htm

Edited by MrsMopar

Thanks for this link Felicia! Very kind of you to think of me.

I may well take a trip down to this competition...you never know, there could be some collectors lurking in a dark corner somewhere!?

I'll keep hunting for a club/show/collector's association over here & will update the forum on my findings. There may be other Brits on here who feel the same?

Thanks again

Chris

You're welcome Chris.

I figured the same thing, if there is a marble competition, then there have got to be folks who have/collect marbles hanging around. You just never know.

I wish you all the luck in your quest and hope you can hook up with others over there.

The tournament should, on its own, be quite an event to experience.

Hey Chris,

Check out what the Marble Museum has on it as well.

I'd personally not get rid of clays from around there. After reading that glass marbles weren't used until the early 60's.

http://www.marblemuseum.org/tinsley/players.html

Pretty kewl stuff!

Yeah, I read that & looked around the Museum site too - thanks Felicia

This all started for me only a few months ago when I wanted to track down some of these swirls for a present to give my brother...

When we were both at school (too many years ago now!) we played a variation of marbles & these swirls were sooooooo valuable to us & the other kids. If you had some swirls (or Spirals as we called them then), it transcended you from a snotty-nosed kid to a superhero. :lol:

Funny how life does a full circle sometimes, eh!

I totally understand. Some of the fondness of marbles is the memories of youthful days. I started here in August with my husband's marbles. When I was young, girls played with jacks and the boys played with marbles, so I have a lot to catch up on...lol

I surely do hope this has been helpful for you and that you can find many others there who share the marble interest.

Yes, tried HOM and lots of others, including all kinds of searches on Google etc etc. All lead back to the USA...

Not a problem - I was born in Buchanan, West Virginia (and still have a US passport) so will just have to come over for the shows over in the States! LOL.

Kewl! I think it would be great to get to one of the US marble shows. I know I'd like to go someday.

Well, you seem to have a 'never give up' attitude and that is good. Something will show up...I'm sure of it.

Oh, was thinking, if you make it to the marble tournament, maybe have some cards made up stating that you are a collector and hand them out...who knows what good it will do but it's a thought.

• 1 year later...

I was googling stuff and found this. Thought it was nifty, looks to be rather historical there too. (Might be a good place for Chris to find other marblers too)

http://www.whatsonwhen.com/sisp/index.htm?...;event_id=87092

Found this for German marble games:

http://www.schwarzmurmler.de/english/englindex.htm

HI Felica

Thats the one. I mite even be in that photo somewere.I will be there takeing pics next year for sure.Pete

Thanks for this link Felicia! Very kind of you to think of me.

I may well take a trip down to this competition...you never know, there could be some collectors lurking in a dark corner somewhere!?

I'll keep hunting for a club/show/collector's association over here & will update the forum on my findings. There may be other Brits on here who feel the same?

Thanks again

Chris

Hello Chris. Try looking up Pete. Im a Brit collector

Hey Pete, I knew we had a Brit here not long ago.... I just couldn't remember the ID.

He hasn't been in for quite a while. I know he started an international board. I joined, but had a hard time with it technically...

Anybody know how to contact Chris??

Hi there all. It deffo would be so good if Chris could find his way to the tournament. As there should be atleast 3 more of us marble collectors there. Maybe if he can stay this way for a couple of days, I could take him down and show him the marble shop my friends got. So if you out there Chris PM me. Would be good to find another marble nut over here.

Hi Pete & Felicia & folks. Thanks for the PM's - replies are on their way!

Sorry I haven't been around much. Got a new job which is filling most of my time and the mibs have had to take a back seat. To be honest, I managed to stock up on some great finds, including my most wanted blue latticino core!! :party-243: so I've been sitting here staring at a few boards full of new stuff...

I'll try to get some pics posted over the holiday

Hope everyone is well & best wishes for Christmas & the New Year

Chris

• 3 months later...

'Sorry I'm a little late on this thread... We had some "water Issues" here!!

I'm so happy for Debra & Whitney!!! I met them at the NE show last October and they're just so cool!! I hope they kicked butt!! LOL

Chris and Pete, if you made it, please send pics!!! And, enjoy the party!!! (Let's see, it should be about 6:30 PM there, now??)