Pelt Comics Boxes

Steph

I'm starting to lose track of the variety of Pelt comics boxes I've seen. There are so many. Original, reproduction, and then I think some other modern ones which aren't modelled after old boxes?

It would be neat to hear again the story of the man who made the famous reproduction boxes, and to know how many different styles he made. That was Harold Bennett, right?

Plus it would be nice to see more of the other varieties out there. I've got quite a few different pix, but like I said, I'm starting to lose track of them. Wondering if I've nearly reached the end of my quest for "all" of them.

Thanks!

Well, this subject appears to be tougher than I thought. That could explain why references to the reproduction boxes tend to be vague.

Here are the original style boxes I've found pix of in auctions. 5 count, 12 and 20.

Comics_OriginalStyles.jpg

Those match the boxes I saw in Grist's Big Book of Marbles. Grist also showed a more generic gift box type package with comic marbles on one side, a different kind of marble on the other, and a bag in the middle.

The most specific info I've found about the reproduction boxes in recent times is in this thread at LOM, Bennett Repro and Box - info? .

• 7 months later...

For some reason I never cared for these marbles until I saw the recent pictures of boxes.

I think they need each other, although the boxes are pretty appealing in their own right.

But definitely a "Pelts + Box" is greater than the sum of the parts situation.

"There are so many. Original, reproduction, and then I think some other modern ones which aren't modelled after old boxes?"

Would this be the case with actual marbles, as well? Seems likely. Also, I'm thinking I heard that the originals were one-color patches, but please correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks, Bob