Handmade Id?

clydetul62

WOW, I bet that's a Block book, right?? LOL

I don't see a damn thing that looks anything at all like End-of-Day in either of those.... But, who am I to question God?? (meaning the author) ROFL

Clyde, I'd agree with you on the right one being a Joseph's Coat... It just barely makes it, and the sectioning isn't the norm. But, I think it still falls there...

The left one has those English colors (which we now think aren't really English, either) and I guess it would fall into onionskin, for lack of a better name....

But, end-of-day??? How in hell did they twist that definition to go there??

Both are great Clyde!!! Good to see you around, Bud!! ;)

Guest browse4antiques

Here's a couple of pics. I think I posted the first one before - it is a panelled Joseph Coat on top, a Beachball Joseph Coat in the middle and a Peppermint on the bottom. The usually accepted distinction between Joseph and Onionskin is that Onionskins have a base color, upon which other, usually transparent colors are overlaid. But a Joseph is a single layer of colors. When the colors in the single layer are thin threads, then it is a normal Joseph Coat, and when the threads are grouped to make panels, it is a Panelled Joseph Coat. When the threads are actually very thick bands, then it is a Beachball Joseph Coat. A Peppermint is in some ways more similar to an Onionskin in that it has a white base, with overlaid red and blue. Sometimes peppermints have open spaces in the base white over which the blue is placed, giving it a darker shade - but sometimes the white base is complete (Onionskins also sometimes have open panels in their base, and sometimes the base is composed of different colored panels). It looks like the one on the left in your pics is a Beachball Joseph Coat, and I should add, that they are quite difficult to find. The one on the right may be a Joseph Coat, or it may be an Onionskin. Sometimes the base color for Onionskins is composed of sparse thin white thread, with other colors overlaid. But then sometimes Joseph Coats include thin white threads as a part of the single-layer design. So it can be difficult to distinguish which category it belongs to. Joseph Coats also have complete threads that run pole to pole, whereas Onionskins usually have some partially complete threads. This can create further confusion, as with the marble in my second pic, which has a solid white base, and so it is technically an Onionskin, but the transparent colors on top of the white base are complete pole-to-pole threads, giving it the look of a Joseph Coat. ... Roger

josephs.jpg

139-red-blue-onion.jpg

Right on ROGER !!!!!!!!!!! Send that one to the ARCHIVES PLEASE !!!!

That was one of the best " break down " on marble I.D. I've read in

along time. :D

I gotta did out my Handmades now .............thanx Roger !!!! :)

RAR.......................... B)

Guest browse4antiques

Jeff, I see what you mean. The one on the left may have a white base underneath the broad color bands. I have a couple like that - including the beachball that I showed above, and my best guess is that they do have white underneath the color bands. Perhaps that is normal for what we call Joseph Beachballs, and maybe they are not Joseph Coats at all! If so, I guess the best solution would be to just call them "Beachballs" and drop the Joseph part. Then the term could apply whether they had the base or not. Here's another one. It has really bright yellow - I've taken 2 pics, one in regular lighting, one in lower light (actually with a different camera). ... Roger

253-beachball2.jpg

253-beachball2x.jpg