Klondike And Brandy

Steph

What were Klondike marbles and Brandies?

This is from a catalog page shown in Grist's Big Book of Marbles, 2nd ed. The caption said Lyon Brothers catalog, 1900 - 1910, Chicago, Illinois. The 2nd edition didn't explain the names. (Does the 3rd?)

post-279-1197089267.jpg

Guesses are welcome.

Thanks!

Just a guess, since brandy is clear, brandies are probably handmade clearies (that's also my guess based on the prices listed). Klondike = gold, so they are probably a lutz or mica (price is higher, so, I lean towards a lutz of some type).

My guess was mica for the klondike! For snowstorms!

But lutz would make a lot of sense given the date of the catalog. The Klondike goldrush started in 1897.

Then again ... a flurry of mica flecks might have reminded someone of gold in the water.

• 1 month later...

Just a quick note to say I LOVE my new marble book!

er, no, just a quick note to say Jane guessed right about the brandies being clearies.

The confirmation is in an Akro ad of all places.

A catalog which says "The Akro Line is Complete" has a description of Glassies:

Here they are, boys,--dazzling and radiant, with little flecks of brilliance throughout. Five clear colors: blue, red, yellow, green and amber. They're like the "Brandies" and "Wine Agates" Dad used to play with.

I love this stuff!

• 3 months later...

While I’m answering nomenclature questions:

KLONDIKE – This is one original name given to what we now call Lutz marbles. Early factory advertising uses this name for what are clearly illustrated as Onionskin Lutz. A 1903 wholesale catalog listing for Klondike Gold Nuggets in black or yellow also seems to refer to Onionskin Lutz or Mist Lutz. The term Klondike was also used on later Banded-type Lutz marbles, in correspondence and sample boxes, though not in advertising. The German spelling is sometimes Klondiche or Klondyche. The gold strike on Canada’s Klondike River captured the world’s imagination in 1897, and might have inspired the gold-flecked marbles.

BRANDIES – This is one original name given to what we now call Mica marbles. Another name is Glimmer (which in German means Mica). Brandies were brandy-flavored hard candies which these marbles resembled. An 1885 wholesale catalog listing uses the term “Glimmer Glass or Brandies”.

Regards,

Dave

Wonderful info. :cool sign:

That leaves a loose end of Akro comparing their glassies to brandies (and wine agates) but it takes care of the big stuff!

Any idea what handmade clearies were sold as?