Discussion Vitro Oxblood Up For Auction

manddrakes

Hi everyone I'm posting this marble up on the boards do to the fact I was asked to from "- canyon10" one of our own which believes that this vitro isn't oxblood. Read his comment below. I would link the auction, but not sure how to link it. Maybe Sue will help link to auction. Thanks Mike.

Here ya go, Mike!! ;)

Perhaps you could post a pic of this one on the marble boards and

ask for a discussion. The topic has come up before on this kind of

glass and the verdict was not oxblood. Perhaps yours is an

exception. It would be interesting to hear what others have to say.

- canyon10

post-1130-1199129023_thumb.jpg

post-1130-1199129052_thumb.jpg

post-1130-1199129069_thumb.jpg

Edited by Scoop

Did you look for dark black threads in the oxblood looking part? Vitro did use "vitro oxblood" but this doesn't look like it to me. This looks like reddish brown glass. Does it circle the blue eye? the marble looks like a vitro bullseye to me and they didn't have oxblood. I have seen vitro oxblood on opaque marbles. Edna

On another board, Galen posted some detailed info on oxblood, noting that "true oxblood" has a particular structure that can be observed under high magnification. If defined that way, Vitro may never or only very rarely used "true oxblood". They did however use glass that to the naked eye looks very close, and behaves on the glass in a very similar way, but is a little more purple in color as in the examples below. The glass on your marble looks transparent brown.

vox.jpg

Pretty marbles you are showing above this post. That's why I put " around my answer about "vitro oxblood". You won't find black threads in it. Perhaps they used something that looked like oxblood to compete with that color in other companies marbles. I have several vitro marbles that are called oxblood, but it's not the same as the oxblood we all know and love. I liked the answer above about the reddish brown color fading out and becoming transparent. That teaches folks who don't know what to look for. Edna

As time goes by most anything that looks like Oxblood glass is being called Oxblood.

Another situation that works out like the discussion about Joseph's Coats...

Over time, each little variance changes definitions and muddies the water... It's hard, but it's important to try to keep the lines as defined as possible... They will change anyway. All we can do is try to keep it from moving too fast...