Master Brand Names?

Steph

What names have Masters been sold under?

The brand names and/or style names I've seen so far:

Comet

Clearie

Cloudy

Sunburst

Meteor

Glassies

Opal

Game

Climax

Unique

Royal

Hero

Cat's Eye

Package labels:

Ritzy

Master Marble, with no extra style name attached

Liberty

Shooting Star, as noted below by Al

Chinese Checkers, as noted below by Al

Edited by Steph

And a bump for me.

I remember a discussion a while back about whether a super colorful marble Alan i.d.ed as a Meteor should have been a Sunburst instead. What if it shouldn't have been either? If I remember correctly Alan's reason was that the marble couldn't be a Sunburst because it didn't have a tranparent base, but is there evidence for meteors with 5 colors?

Was there a time when Master didn't have style names at all for most of its marbles?

• 4 years later...

Four years later, I sure wish I could remember why I included "Climax" and some of those others in the list of names for Masters! Where did I get that from? I wouldn't have pulled it out of thin air. Was it in a marble book? Or in an ad?

Edit: Yes, it's in an ad in a marble book -- American Machine-Made Marbles, p. 113.

But it's confusing. It says Master Marbles, but right under that it says Akro Agates. The ad goes something like this:

MASTER MARBLES

AKRO AGATES

in Packages and in Bulk

---- BRAND NAMES ----

CLEARIES ----- GLASSIES

OPAL ----- GAME

CLIMAX ----- UNIQUE

ROYAL ----- HERO

Soooo, I am guessing that's from 1951 or later. Just guessing though. 1951 is when AMMM says that Master acquired old Akro stock along with the right to use the Akro logo and trademark.

An ad which is definitely from later than 1951 still has the Akro Agate name included. I don't see a date but I know it's later because it says Cat's Eye. It goes about like this:

MASTER MARBLE

AKRO AGATES

in Packages and in Bulk

---- BRAND NAMES ----

CLEARIES * GLASSIES

OPAL * GAME

CAT'S EYE

Actually, I think that ad would be from 1963 or later, because in the contact information it has a five digit zip code.

• 2 years later...

Climax is the name of a small town in southern Georgia. Really. Look it up. Long ago us girls in Tallahassee used to say things like "I'm going to Climax this weekend" just to see what reaction we'd get . . .

Sorry. Off topic.