A Question About Using Cullet At Jabo...

hey all

i was wondering if when for example they start to fire up the marble runs at jabo

i would guess they at first would run cheaper glass (clear or white) for a short while until the glass and/or the machine gets going right

then they proceed to add the better stuff when all is right

my question is if a person had some quantities of different AKRO cullet and they didnt care too much if it was destroyed trying to do good with it

could it be tossed in the start up in an effort to make some AKRO-JABO combo shooter swirls?????

anyhow thats something i have been tossing around for a while

thanks in advance

steve

Dave McCullough can tell by looking at it if it can be used. Generally, small amounts in different colors become muddy looking if used. The cullet that is sold to be used again in marbles is generally a single colored glass and it is glass that hasn't been used over and over again. That's my limited knowledge. Edna

hey all

i was wondering if when for example they start to fire up the marble runs at jabo

i would guess they at first would run cheaper glass (clear or white) for a short while until the glass and/or the machine gets going right

then they proceed to add the better stuff when all is right

my question is if a person had some quantities of different AKRO cullet and they didnt care too much if it was destroyed trying to do good with it

could it be tossed in the start up in an effort to make some AKRO-JABO combo shooter swirls?????

anyhow thats something i have been tossing around for a while

thanks in advance

steve

"It depends".

Different glass has different coefficients of expansion (COE). Every manufacturer has to deal with this and test the compatibility of glass before charging a tank with cullet. If the COE isn't compatible - the glass will not anneal properly and will have internal stresses which will likely cause annealing fractures. (Akro Sky Blue Onyx with Oxblood are a good example of incompatible glass....the vast majority have fractures and ended up being dumped). There are methods to test this compatibility.

The first requirement would be to test for compatibility between the Jabo glasses and each individual Akro cullet sample (all Akro glass is not the same COE). I would think that it would require a lot of Akro cullet - more than I'm guessing is lying around. Someone else might know the minimum number of pounds of glass for a single color Jabo requires for a run.

The whole deal might be more easily done on a torch.