New Question

Another Term is eye lashing, it has to do with the machines and leaving Eye lashes in the mibs, it's a good way to spot early Akro's.....

Here some Eye lashing, look at the seam Pic#4...

Akro-Tawnie.jpg

Heres some more eye lashing (Pre Freeze) on a Akro Royal i sold awhile back, from my understanding this was fixed in the early 20's...

AkroRoyal2.jpg

From Akron Marbles: Glossary of Marble Terminology

FRESSE, PRE-: The term "Pre-Fresse" is used by collectors to identify a design feature appearing on Akro Agate Company "Prize Name" marble (called Popeye by collectors) that resemble tiny feather -like features on the demarcation-line between two colors of glass. Collectors perceive this as a diagnostic feature revealing the marble's date of manufacture as previous to Ira Fresse's invention of The Akro Agate Company's gob feeder, or pre 1922 and that Popeye marbles manufactured with the Fresse gob feeder do not carry these same feather-like features. The problem with the term (besides the fact the Fresse gob feeder didn't work, never produced marbles and its patent was voided in federal courts) as presently used by collectors, a marble with a Pre-Fresse design feature is a gob fed marble made almost 5 years before the first successful use of a gob feeder and almost a decade before The Akro Agate Company obtained a working gob feeder.

As Kevin said, the Freese improvement (mid-1920s) to Akro's machines involved offsetting the rollers to get rid of the heavy crimp marks and associated "eyelashes" at the cutoffs. Pre-Freese style cutoffs are also seen on Master marbles, since the Freese improvement was never incorporated on their machines, which were similar to those used by Akro. That's why it can be difficult to distinguish some early Akros from some Masters. At least this is my understanding. -Ric

lol I am so lost.... can you put it in okie language lol. Are popeyes the only ones with pre fresse/ pre freeze / eye lash markings? What I am wondering about are these.. I really like them but I didn't know what pre freeze was.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=250388276170

I just showed you two mibs that aren't Popeyes that have the Eyelashing/Prefreeze..

As far as at that group go's in the ebay link, i don't see it but the pics aren't close either...

Pre Freeze is a term used on eBay a lot to boost sales IMHO , i myself like to see some eye lashing on the old Akro's it gives them character and kind of a way to date them, and like Ric said, early Masters will show this also....

There is no such thing as a pre-freese cork.

As Felicia noted/quoted from the Akronmarbles site, Freese invented his gob feeder in 1922.

Cork production began in 1929 or very early in 1930.

PRE FREEZE IS ATERM I LEARNED ON THIS SITE NOT EBAY, IT IS USED TO DATE A MARBLE, WHEN I AM SELLING THEM I KNOW PEOPLE LIKE TO KNOW IF IT'S OLD/VINTAGE.

I AM AN HONEST PERSON TRYING MY BEST TO ID WE ALL KNOW THIS CAN BE DIFFICULT, HERE ARE BLOWN UP PICTURES AND IF THESE ARE NOT EYELASHES YOU CAN SEE WHY I THOUGHT THEY WERE... AND IF THEY ARE EYELASHES, SOUNDS LIKE YOU HAVE THE ONLY PRE FREEZE CORKS AROUND.

PLEASE LOOK AT THESE AN LET US BOTH KNOW WHAT YOU THINK, EITHER WAY I'LL MAKE IT RIGHT... SATISFACTION GUARANTEED

post-1875-1237191487_thumb.jpgpost-1875-1237191459_thumb.jpgpost-1875-1237191545_thumb.jpg

PRE FREEZE IS ATERM I LEARNED ON THIS SITE NOT EBAY, IT IS USED TO DATE A MARBLE, WHEN I AM SELLING THEM I KNOW PEOPLE LIKE TO KNOW IF IT'S OLD/VINTAGE.

I AM AN HONEST PERSON TRYING MY BEST TO ID WE ALL KNOW THIS CAN BE DIFFICULT, HERE ARE BLOWN UP PICTURES AND IF THESE ARE NOT EYELASHES YOU CAN SEE WHY I THOUGHT THEY WERE...

The term "pre-freese" has been severely mis-used, even on this site. In a thread where Brian pointed it out as a myth, someone came on afterwards and called him an idiot. Sue was polite and invited explanation, but the fun atmosphere of the thread was pretty much destroyed and no one responded in it again. (I might go do that now.)

The term has been used to mis-date marbles. You used it to conclude that your corks were made before 1920. They weren't though. One of the patents for essential cork-making machinery wasn't filed until 1928. It seems likely that the cork process was perfected during 1929. The earliest known cork advertisement is from Spring 1930.

Yes, I see eyelashes on your corks. Really nice ones in the first pic.

But they have nothing to do with Ira Freese's 1922 gob feeder. Sorry. :-(

I UNDERSTAND NOW, IF THE ONLY WAY WE KNOW THEY ARE NOT "EYELASHES AS REFERED TO IN THE PRE FREESE TEXT" IS THAT CORKS DID NOT EXIST AT THAT TIME,

THEN WE CAN NOT USE IT AS A DATING "TOOL" ON ANY MARBLE SINCE THE SAME CAUSE THAT MADE THESE EYLASHES COULD HAPPEN ON OTHER MARBLES FROM OTHER MAKERS AT LATER DATES, SO IT IS TRUE BUT NOT CONSISTANT, SO THEREFORE MISUSED. (MYTH)

FROM NOW ON I WILL ONLY USE IT IN DESCRIBING THE MARBLE NOT DATING THEM.

THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE

(ERRR..... I HOPE THATS RIGHT...)

Lisa's right. You're a great sport!

SO IT IS TRUE BUT NOT CONSISTANT, SO THEREFORE MISUSED. (MYTH)

FROM NOW ON I WILL ONLY USE IT IN DESCRIBING THE MARBLE NOT DATING THEM.

I do not know what could be considered "true" about using the term "pre-freese" to describe a corkscrew.

The best information we have is that the Freese machine was not used for marble making. It was intended to be, but never made it. Whoever stuck the Freese name on any Akro marbles made a booboo. Continuing to use it perpetuates the misunderstandings associated with it. Your more immediate concern is that it could reflect badly on your auctions. It increases the likelihood of more threads like this on the various marble boards because the use of the term sets off alarms. People who use it are often written off as uninformed or as hucksters. Being mentioned once or twice in a thread like this doesn't mean much. Especially while you're getting the hang of ebaying. But the more often a seller's auctions get flagged, the more likely the seller's name is to be remembered in a negative light. Ya need to ditch the word "Freese" altogether to help that not happen.

You don't need the word. Akro corkscrews are vintage. Period.

If you wish to focus on eyelashes in your auctions, that is a fine thing to do. It would be better just to focus on the eyelashes themselves though. As a classic feature. Without bringing the word Freese into it.

IMHO. :-)

Felicia, I don't know about the burring. One description I read said that the cutter would have burrs right after sharpening, leading to eyelashes. Then they would wear down, and eyelashes would diminish.

Others have argued about that.

My amateur brainstorming makes me think they might due more to the geometry of the marble or of the cutline, and general properties of glass, rather than irregularities on the edge of the cutter. Which other marbles are known to have eyelashes? Masters. Imperials. Anything else?

Here's an Imperial up against Rookie's best eyelash pic.

(click to enlarge)

Eyelashes_Imperial_FredT-1.jpg Eyelashes_Akro_Rookie-1.jpg

Reminds me of pleats. Is that tugging? Or is that puckering? Maybe it's a combo of tugging and bunching. If it appears more often in akros than in others, pehaps the torque of corks accentuates it.

fig3pleating_mafoofan.jpg

just a thought.

Rookie----- Recieved these marbles today ( the black and white ones that were the basis of this thread)........ LOVE THEM!! Perfect description. They actually look like they have eyelashes with mascara on them!! All of the marbles were great! Thanks for packaging them so well. It's nice not getting broken or scratched marbles! Thanks again. AND thanks to everyone who submitted all the information about pre freese. Learned alot!