Can Anyone Verify From These Photos...

m!b$

...whether or not this marble has had any reconditioning work done on it? I see no evidence of it ever having been ground, but I'm not sure what to look for in a reheated marble. It's about as close to Mint as any marble can be, and the size is 1-13/16".

...whether or not this marble has had any reconditioning work done on it? I see no evidence of it ever having been ground, but I'm not sure what to look for in a reheated marble. It's about as close to Mint as any marble can be, and the size is 1-13/16".

to tell if reconditioned look for normal scratching that is on all marbles, if it isnt there well....

that is one gorgeous marble, especially with all those bubbles which by the way wouldnt be there either.

I agree with the scratches or pocket wear. A 100 year old marble has been handled and has scratches from rings on hands etc. When I get a marble in mint plus condition I get a dull ache if I can't see at lease a few scratches with a 20x lupe. Only my opinion...Steve

It does have a very very few tiny light scratches/scuffs/contact spots, really nothing to speak of, and some as made "roll" lines/ripples. I think it's a genuine mint onionskin, but I wanted to be sure :)

I was also wondering if this is an end of cane, because of the open swirl at the top end...?

Hey, that's a good point. Not being an expert myself, but logically it does make sense with what little I do know. lol Maybe we can get some handmade collectors to respond to this thread and answer that one way or the other. God Bless!

Hey, that's a good point. Not being an expert myself, but logically it does make sense with what little I do know. lol Maybe we can get some handmade collectors to respond to this thread and answer that one way or the other. God Bless!

Mr. Langley, you are either a very good Christian or a minister, one of the other or both which?

I'll simply note that there are far more air bubbles in the glass than is normally seen.

Yes, there are quite a few bubbles. I have another large Onionskin that also has lots of air bubbles near the surface, and I am certain that it has had no reconditioning work of any kind done on it.

What do the air bubbles suggest to you, if I may ask?

Yes, there are quite a few bubbles. I have another large Onionskin that also has lots of air bubbles near the surface, and I am certain that it has had no reconditioning work of any kind done on it.

What do the air bubbles suggest to you, if I may ask?

Large air bubbles can be a sign of re-heating. Without seeing it in hand - guessing by photos is just that...so I can't draw any conclusions.

Large air bubbles can be a sign of re-heating. Without seeing it in hand - guessing by photos is just that...so I can't draw any conclusions.

The first picture shows the marble in question. It appears to have its original ground pontil. It also has some as-made creases, tiny as-made pinpricks, and a very few light scratches, little scuffs / contact marks. It does have quite a few air bubbles, but not nearly as many as the green / yellow / red 1-7/16" Onionskin, which is covered with bubbles of all sizes, including many pinpoint-size ones, and it appears to have its original surface, with lots of scratches and pinpricks, some of them as-made. I'm not sure what kind of pontil this marble has. (Anybody know?)

Third picture shows a reheated 2-1/4" Onionskin. It has tiny "crazing" lines scattered over its surface, and very shallow ripples all over the surface. The marble in question has neither of these. This reheated marble does not have its original pontil.

Fourth picture shows a 2-7/32" Onionskin with its original surface. There are quite a few air bubbles, though it's hard to see them because of the rough surface. I'm not sure what kind pontils this one has either, but they look original.