Cairo Marble Show

It was a great day, seeing many of my old friends and trading/purchasing a few nice marbles (my fav of the day a 7/8" maglight indian with green base).

Good to see you Duffy, enjoy the marble from Ray and I, not many exist. I look foreward to making you a few nice items from the cullet.

This was Matt's 3rd marble show and he had a blast, thanks to all who purchased a marble from him and showed him the "real" marble world.

I have to thank Smitty for his generousity and great looking marbles!

Special thanks to Dave for the invite and the sweet marble from his personal stash!

I really enjoyed the display of Alox advertising and meeting the owners.

Thanks to the WVMC for the effort!

I'll be blowing glass at Fenton for a few days and will try to stop in Jabo while in the area.

hey Duffy....

Jabo vase # 1 is in the kiln, lets cross our fingers and hope it makes it through.

it was a chunk of cullet, yellow/orange/ox/white/green? (nice orange was hiding inside). I'm not sure what run it was from, maybe you can remember the colors and give it a name?

I tryed a 6 marble vase, it had lots of aventurine and blue mica with red and white, it didn't make it, 6 marbles just isn't enough color to make a nice piece, the colors wash out as I blow it larger, the aventurine and mica was very heavy but with the washout of colors it didn't look all that nice anyway, I think 10-12 marbles is more like it.

I have a ton of mica, thinking about making purple mica, how much of an individual color is typicaly used during a run? I could make a few lbs. if anyone would be interested.

I'll try another soon.

hey Griff... got cullet??

Peace! scott

Here ya go Duffy.....

Jabo cullet vase #1

003-1.jpg

the little bit of oxblood that was showing did survive, not much aventurine in this stuff, now that you can see the colors I need a name.

001-2.jpg

stands about 7-1'2" tall, I cased it in crystal to help the colors show, I worked it rather fast so I just went with a freeform shape, #2 is in the kiln, it's a bud vase made with crushed marbles as frit, looks nice, we'll see how it does.

Thanks T, Duff & Felicia.

It was a chunk of fall harvest cullet about the size of a womans fist.

Duffy gave it a suitable name, remembering good times and people close is something we all need, kinda keeps us sane.

Now for my insanity.....

I've got special plans for this wonderful piece of glass.

Peace! scott

here's old jabo #2

crushed about 6 marbles and layered them in crystal with a white background to help the colors show.

003-2.jpg

marbles were red/white/blue mica/baby blue.... at least thats the colors I see here.

the photo is crooked, not the vase, about 6-1/2" tall.

002-1.jpg

didn't get to play today, hopefully I can get a couple done tomorow.

good clean jabo cullet or clean halves or clean flats from one of the late runs? that's what is working best, the good colors they used in the runs is a shame to let go to waste, I've only seen a little factory cullet in the mixes so far so everything seems to look positive.

I've started to catalogue these and will continue to number them as made, I'm going to include a marble of that run or piece of the cullet used for each piece, also a certificate identifying the piece.

good clean jabo cullet or clean halves or clean flats from one of the late runs? that's what is working best, the good colors they used in the runs is a shame to let go to waste, I've only seen a little factory cullet in the mixes so far so everything seems to look positive.

I've started to catalogue these and will continue to number them as made, I'm going to include a marble of that run or piece of the cullet used for each piece, also a certificate identifying the piece.

Hi, i have this glass statuette of a road runner and the tail is broken, i think it would probably make some fantastic marbles but its heavy. probably at least 5 lbs. would it be worth it to send it to you? and would you even want it. its amberina.

Marie

Thanks marie but I don't want to mess with it, I have some Blenko amberina, it's not very freindly, to get it to work properly you need to overheat it till flashes to amber, only then will it strike red, colors like that are best in the furnace.

Thanks anyway. scott

Thanks Felicia, both #2 and # 3 are now part of someones collection, #1 was given to Dave.

I'll be making more soon, I picked up a bunch of nice cullet and marbles to play with, I'm debating on the size though, if I make a piece too large it may be too expensive for the average collector.

The WVmcc show was nice, another chance to see old faces and say hello, didn't buy much this time, seems some dealers didn't want to sell the nice vintage marbles they brought, instead they had a couple tables full of new Jabos, not sure why someone would bring cases full of great looking vintage marbles only to try to sell $3-$10 Jabos? oh well, it probably saved me a few $$ anyway.

Peace! scott