How Many Recall Their Firsts?

kymarble

Allow me this opportunity to say "hello" and introduce myself. I'm Bob, and though 50, am rather new to the wonderful world of marbles (and web forums!). It is a bit challenging to feel comfortable with technology when one has a Lincoln Log mentality. What I was made to feel comfortable with, however, was my first marble convention. Bob and his wife, along with a host of absolutely astonishing asortment of new friends, made the Southern Indiana show an incredible experience. Ron and Joe and Steve (and so many others) made my step-daughter and I feel instantly welcome. I learned so much -- about how to identify more of my marbles, as well as what collecting is all about. It's about people coming together with a common purpose that is entirely uplifting and supportive. I can only imagine how many fantastic lovers of marbles there are across the country. Oh, well, I didn't mean for this to sound sappy! Only wanted to say, my first show to attend and my first post here ..... now that's a great weekend! How many of you guys remember your first show? Here's to some great finds for all. Bob by the way, the beautiful agate was my dad's as a boy, and my first introduction into this great hobby!

welcome! you mean Bob cunningham and lynette? yep a couple of peaches! (if that's who you meant) We remember our first show... it was in oregon, put on by Jeff Baker... back in the 80's. we had a blast.. still have the marbles we bought there!

~Dani

I think this thread could almost have a confessional air to it. 'My First' was truly at 'the Show!' Amana. I think 'round 1991 or thereabouts. The legendary Russell Coppel and I rented a car and drove from Santa Cruz CA. Right off I had to establish a certain ground rule.....no funny smokin' whilst on the road! Somewhere in Nebraska I think it was we hit an antique shop and came up with a couple doz. spectacularly colored clays of various sizes I've never seen the likes of since. We had an understanding that road marbles were split even. Amana, of course, was a mind-bender with machine-mades only recently experiencing their ascendancy. We'd brought along something like 125 sulphides of dubious condition. So dubious that one evening, more like on towards midnight we were rolling them and banking them off the walls in the hallway. That came to a sudden hault when it was suggested that someone coming out of a room too quickly could get their ankle broken! There's always someone messin' with your fun!

Well, it was a true marble initiation and especially the Banquet with typical ethnic Iowan humor highlighted with baton twirling. Then there's the food.....All in all I wouldn't have missed it for love nor money. David Chamberlain

The first show I went to was SeaTac (by Seattle) back in 1998. I had not made the decision to collect marbles yet. My wife and I attended the show itself (knew nothing abotu the in-room trading, etc.). I bought one MK Bumblebee for $7 and that was all I bought. Went home and started to learn about marbles; decided on machine made marbles; decided to collect packaging to learn who made what marbles and voila....

Well, I am still a marbleshow virgin. Hopefully, if all goes well in the next few weeks I will be able to get out to some shows. I really can't wait to go, and was bummed out last year when our sistersville trip went down in flames. Keep your fingers crossed for me this year! GB