Attending My First Show

Matt Sink

I'm going to the show in Fort Worth next month. I've been collecting marbles since I was a kid but never cared about who made them or what they were named. As long as they looked cool that's all I cared about. Since finding this site, I've been doing a lot of rediscovering my marbles. I assume slags are fairly common as I have quite a few of those even a "white" one.

My first show was ok. Griff, Duffy, Edna, Weldon, Steve S., Bill M., Dave M. and others. Everyone was great to my young son. Bought some marbles but not as many as I would have liked but rich I am not. Look in the $1.00 trays. There are some great finds. Also if you buy more than one from the same dealer I bet they will give you a better deal.

Have a great time. Learn a lot... Enjoy!!

But don't ever, ever change this....

never cared about who made them or what they were named. As long as they looked cool that's all I cared about.

Once you lose that spirit, they simply become a commodity...

I'm going to the Texas Show for the first time (not my first show but first in Texas). I'm arriving really late on Wednesday. I would highly recommend that you get there at least the day before the show so you can visit the collectors in their rooms. They usually try to get the marble folk on the same floor(s). If the doors are open, you can walk in, see marbles, get ID's on marbles, buy, sell, trade or just chat. The shows are great also but you may not have as much time with a particular collector to ask questions or have your marbles ID'd. With Ron Shepherd there for swirl ID's and Steve Sturtz there for the Jabo Runs' insight as well as his books, it sounds like a great show. Also, the collectors in that area are fine folk. I look forward to meeting many of them in person that I have only "met" on the boards.