Old Jabo's

My general impression is "about the same".

I think you can still usually get them for a few cents apiece but some famous types sell fairly well, and some people do fairly well even with nonfamous ones by presenting them in eyecatching ways.

With the older Jabos and I'm assuming you mean going all the way back to 1991 it is in large measure in the marketing of them. Knowing the specific runs and year helps. Just like any run there are marque marbles amongst these earlier runs. Not much in the way of naming though prior to 1999 but significant occurrences for those who are more familiar with the runs.

For example: (1) Red Green & White 5/8" run in 1999 including pee wees that were made to give away at an xmas display that the city of Parkersburg WV had called the Holiday Show, (2) 1" run summer of 1996 with some of them being fluorscent, (3) Sept. 1997 1" run with some great Tri-Colors, (4) the Tye Dye and Hot Tamale marbles, (5) 'Beer Marbles' 5/8" Fall 2001, (6) 1992 3/4" Industrials a special set of three, (7) 1995 comics w/colored backgrounds 3/4" Rare!, (8) A special group of 5/8" marbles. I forget the date. But they were called Egg & Ham, Marlow Peterson, Superman, Clown, Salmon, Last Run 2006 (9) Pee Wees in 2004. Outrageous pee wees. I have 26 different ones and four of each, (10) the Presidential Set, (11) Special run that was filmed for The Discovery Channel 12-9-2005, (12) Eagle Pictured/Patriotic 9/11/2001 bagged marbles where the proceeds from the sale of the marbles went to the American Red Cross in the wake of "America Under Attack." Something like $12,000 was raised but I could be wrong on that, (13) 2005 5/8" Root Beer Slags. Entire run was dumped but they are great. (14) Advertising marbles of course, (15) The Sept. 2006 5/8" run had 15 marbles that Dale Simmons thought so much of that he sent me three sets. I gave one set to Mike Johnson. They are killer., (16) And I have specifically hellacious examples mostly 5/8" identified by Spring or Fall Classic Run going back into the early 1990s.

So while some might be obtained still for a few cents a piece they could be anything ranging from a run of the mill group to a killer surprise but if you're hankering after seriously identified and premiere examples I think you will find that you'll be paying quite a bit more because there's quite the history already established behind Jabo marbles.

David

I can add to this, of course, and some of my Jabo articles touch on marbles other than from the last couple years. But for those who are interested more in the very recent runs Edna has provided lengthy photograph Posts w/specific marble names. I've been left in the breeze with a lot of it; not that I have any less appreciation for the marbles. I just haven't connected names with the ones that I consider premiere examples from the Experimental Runs, etc. I've always preferred to chose my own favorite marbles from these runs because I feel that I have a good eye for beauty. David

Unfortunately I'm not traveling this year. Next time I travel I'm going to stay where I arrive for a while and right now I cannot trust the Dr. or the Nurse who live here to stay on top of the gardens that I have going and Albuquerque weather is unforgiving this time of year. Maybe the Fall but I don't think so and next year I have to go to New England. I really should be there next month for my brother's 50th Wedding Anniversary. I am though going to surprise them big time. And I need to get back to California to visit Family and Friends + do a major shipping of merchandise and personal effects in Santa Cruz and in Paso Robles. I am still spread out all over the place. I have had two friends call me in the past week yugging me to visit California. I sort of feel torn!!! David

I have a photograph of the Beer marbles but not available to be able to Post. But if you go to joemarbles.com Click on Marble Articles and go down to my article "How 'Bout Them Marbles" the 2nd figure in the article will have Dave McCullough's Lawn Chair marbles and they for all intent and purposes look just like the Beer Marbles(5/8"). Basically a silver metallic swirled on the surface. The story was that some of the guys on a night shift were tossing back a few and tossed some of the empties into the mix. Cool marbles. David