Ot Arrowheads

Wow..oh wow, I was able to finally make it over to the Museum to have my Arrowheads looked at. I am so pleased, had a bunch of questions answered and so much new knowledge packed into my head it's hard to think. The guy who did mine was so very nice and sorted everyone of them, even put them in envelopes with the time periods and everything, too, too cool. I'd forgotten how very much I like them and how many memories I have connected to mine. I remember there used to be a few people here who collected Arrowheads...are you still here? Would love talk and share.

Me

Wow..oh wow, I was able to finally make it over to the Museum to have my Arrowheads looked at. I am so pleased, had a bunch of questions answered and so much new knowledge packed into my head it's hard to think. The guy who did mine was so very nice and sorted everyone of them, even put them in envelopes with the time periods and everything, too, too cool. I'd forgotten how very much I like them and how many memories I have connected to mine. I remember there used to be a few people here who collected Arrowheads...are you still here? Would love talk and share.

Me

Hello,

I have a few pictures to share, perhaps you'll like these.

post-315-127606476185_thumb.jpg

Great points Speed Racer ! Did you find them ,inherit or buy them ?These are a few from this year ,found some more but have not taken pics yet .The large one has a burin spokeshave for debarking arrow shafts .There are many awesome points still found in Ohio ,more so than in PA where i hunt ,also Indiana is great spot for finding them i have hunted there years ago my brother lives there.Would love to see some pics of your points,Patty .

post-2241-12760847988_thumb.jpg

post-2241-127608482073_thumb.jpg

post-2241-127608484211_thumb.jpg

Wow! You guys have some nice ones...mine don't even compare:) honest.Thanks for sharing! I'll do my best to get some photo's of mine on here to share, now that I have a decent camera they might even look nice too:) It'll be a few days maybe closer to the weekend. Do you guys know the time periods and stuff? It was so cool to listen to that guy tell me about mine. If you ever get the opportunity to get to The Boonshoft Museum Of Discovery go. The person I spoke with was William E. Kennedy, M.A. R.P.A. Curator of Anthropology. He explained every one of mine, named each one and marked them with a time period, and put each one in envelopes for me, I spent the best few hours I've had in a long, long time. Feels good because it was one of the things I promised myself I'd do "some day":) Here's a little of what I learned that I have:

Thebes Point, Early Archaic 8000-6000 B.C.

St. Charles Point Early Archaic 8000-6000 B.C.

Bifurcate Base Point Middle Archaic 6000-4000 B.C.

Ledbetter Stemmed Point Late Archaic 4000-1000 B.C.

There are so many more, I just grabbed a few out of the box. I know I have a knife and a few scrappers and a few "preformed". It amazes me how much history is in there.

Me

The Arrowheadology link is real nice. Thanks for providing it!

These are not mine, but I was involved in selling the estate they came out of.

All were dug here in Texas in one county back in the forties and fifties.

The family kept the points but told me to feel free to take pics.

Personally, I prefer the pre-Columbian artifacts out of South America. This next piece is mine.

It is a large copper casting found about the pyramid at Tiahuanaco by Dr. Ray Burns between 1902-1910. Mr. Burns was an early lecturer, English teacher, and explorer. He was influenced by his cousin, Lincoln Elsworth, who went with Amundsen to the South Pole.

Mr. Burns spent much of his time exploring the Andes and Amazon areas, and because of his knowledge, he was hired by the National Geographic Magazine to lead a party in search of the origins of blackware pottery, which he located deep in the Amazon river area.

I believe this piece to be a type of calendar and that it pre-dates the Gate of the Sun. It weighs over twelve pounds.

post-315-127610853821_thumb.jpg

There was a guy at the WVMCC show who showed pics of an approx. 6' tall X 4' wide American Indian portrait made completely out of different colors/shapes/types of old arrowheads. It was absolutely amazing. The piece was willed to him by an old man who spent his life gathering arrowheads and artifacts.

Maybe Ron S. can tell you his name as Ron bought an old marble toy from him at the show. Paul Bunyon and Babe the blue ox toy perhaps?

Man- my memory is going.

There was a guy at the WVMCC show who showed pics of an approx. 6' tall X 4' wide American Indian portrait made completely out of different colors/shapes/types of old arrowheads. It was absolutely amazing. The piece was willed to him by an old man who spent his life gathering arrowheads and artifacts.

Maybe Ron S. can tell you his name as Ron bought an old marble toy from him at the show. Paul Bunyon and Babe the blue ox toy perhaps?

Man- my memory is going.

naw .. memory is rite on ... just don't lose ur marbles :lol-016: ... and ron don't let that toy out of his sight ... bill

I believe this piece to be a type of calendar and that it pre-dates the Gate of the Sun. It weighs over twelve pounds.

post-315-127610853821_thumb.jpg

That's real nice.

Don't have much along these lines myself but worked for 18 years in a great museum collection that included art of the ancient Americas. I think you're probably right about it being earlier than the Gate of the Sun.

The museum was, conveniently, in Ohio . . . so I spent a lot of time messing around with Adena and Hopewell stuff (and some archaic points), and wandering over burial mounds and earthworks in the general vicinity of Chillicothe . . . wonderful stuff. Ever seen any of the crazy shaped-mica pieces?

Gail is correct that arrowhead display was awesome. I wish that i had my camera when he showed it to me. He was from Pitts PA. My four grandkids have already rolled a lot of marbles down that ox. Probably more use than it previously had. I had to put it up out of reach of the two year old. Don't forget we are about the same age,my memory is going,just like everything else,LOL. But i still have my marbles.

Yes Ron,

You and Julia Had me fooled on this one! It is front and center on the mantlepiece! Thanks bud!I dont know what to say other then than THANK YOU and JULIA POWELL and my wife LIZZIE for the "Triker Marble"I will post pics as soon i can figure out a way to post a BIG marble!

Bruce

YOO HOO boys! Hey there Ron, Mibcapper, and Triker! Sure would like to see you guys again soon. When we going digging?

You are so welcome triker and a big thanks to you too for the Jacksons. That was a great time we all had huh? Perhaps I'll pack up the old Tijuana Taxi and head back to W.Va. I'll bring my banjo and we'll have us a hoedown. Got any shine?

That's real nice.

Don't have much along these lines myself but worked for 18 years in a great museum collection that included art of the ancient Americas. I think you're probably right about it being earlier than the Gate of the Sun.

The museum was, conveniently, in Ohio . . . so I spent a lot of time messing around with Adena and Hopewell stuff (and some archaic points), and wandering over burial mounds and earthworks in the general vicinity of Chillicothe . . . wonderful stuff. Ever seen any of the crazy shaped-mica pieces?

Hello Ann, I have not seen the mica in person. It must have been wonderful to have been around that stuff for so long.

Have you ever seen anything made out of slate? This one has a glyph. It is about the size of your palm.

post-315-127614605398_thumb.jpg

Wow, that's nice!

Most of the slate stuff I got to see and handle were those great "bannerstone" type objects that they now think were mostly spearthrower weights. I did once get to look at a couple of Adena incised banded slate "tablets" -- whatever they are. Not sure anybody's figured them out yet, although I'm not really up on the reading anymore, like I used to be.

But my actual handling highlight was jade. Back in the 1980s we had a great Maya exhibition called "The Blood of Kings" (where it was first really shown that when it came to blood sacrifices, the Aztecs didn't have much on the so-called "peacefull" Maya!), and I got to fondle the incised jade "Leiden Plaque" before it was installed in the gallery. I think I held my breath the whole time. I may have turned blue.

Do you have any ceramics, too, or mostly stone artifacts?

Love this stuff!