Current Ebay Auction

Swissmarble

Let's see, someone had just previously indicated that a pee wee blue latticinio might garner $60 to $175. I believe I was just giving it a different angle. I would be more inclined to side with Paul Baumann's statistics (2004) wherein his percentage figure for a blue latticinio crossed with it being a pee wee puts the possibility of acquiring one off the charts. And if you want/need one you'll pay for one. Just because the buying population in an eBay Auction for a marble of similar properties doesn't have an appreciation for the chances of getting one of these marbles or isn't aware of their rarity doesn't mean that it is of any less intrinsic worth. I guess I'm not all that influenced by the general eBay buyers valuation of marbles. My attitude is "Thank you very much but no thanks I'll just tuck that marble away." Then, I don't sell on eBay or buy for that matter. David

I think I might have misunderstood the situation at first. I thought you were originally saying that the books were over priced and that marbles arent worth what you read and i think it is more 50/50 depending on what you have and where you or to whom you sell it. I agree with your last statement though about ebay lowering a lot of the marbles. Anyway, i wouldnt sell my blue latticino for anything! Kevin

I wouldnt pay any attention to the values in those books. As you know,the prices you see are from auctions years ago when we had more collectors(buyers) in the hobby. They are also prices estimated by a few people, it was just there opinion. Try and get 250-450 for a pee wee blue latticinio today.

Hi Greg

Is it so that there were more buyers/collectors years ago ? It's difficult to tell for me because I live in Switzerland and there are and were no collectors at all. Ebay is more or less my only source and I have the feeling that prices are higher now than a few years ago, at least for the really good marbles. I don't know about marble shows etc. What is your experience in the USA ? And what is the age of THE average collector ? My guess is around 60 (by the way, I am 41).

Thanks

Ron

I'm sure there are more collectors today buying. It just stands to reason considering how much the web has enhanced visibility and participation. More marbles coming out of the woodwork as well due the heightened interest in marbles. Maybe somewhat prejudicial but I look back on the earlier years as purer, simpler, less hype....you name it. In the main I've always found marbles priced in books to be undervalued. Granted my take on the Popeye Box with limeades, lemonades and silver oxbloods belies the point but there are always exceptions. Heck numerous people were complaining about Larry & Marlow's values in their books on machine-made marbles, some even suggesting that they low-balled prices purposely so that they could still buy relatively cheaply. I disagree! I think it's a toss-up when it comes to book values and as is suggested in practically every marble book ever written with prices you need to use your own good sense/judgement and factor in what accumulated knowledge you've been able to garner in whatever brief experience you've had in marbles. Personally I like to get a handle on the marble market by occasionally picking up a Marble Auction catalog w/Realized Prices, of course, I make mental adjustments here and there due to the fact that often prices are skewed by bidders with deep pockets. I was priced out of the Running Rabbit Auctions early on when Danny & Gretchen Turner were running it. I'd have loved to have had their client base! I've been out of the marble show scene since the Fall of 2007 so I'm a little rusty on what's happening there although I have 'feelers.' For age comparison I am 71. David